How to increase mowing speed on small lawns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is split into three lawns, approximately 50 m² each and split on differently levels requiring moving the mower down steps between them. I'm currently using a small old electric hovering Flymo (30 cm blade, 1150 W motor) which does seem an appropriate tool given the limitations, it is nimble and easy to move up and down steps. The problem is it takes me the best part of an hour to mow the three lawns, emptying the grass collector between 3-8 times depending on the grass length.

I expect a large push mower could mow this amount of grass in about ten minutes if it weren't for all the obstacles, so I'm wondering what type of mower would be a good in between. I've looked at the new Flymos, they sell one with a 36 cm blade and 1800 W motor, but will it really save me that much time? The new models also look less robustly made than the older ones.

I'm assuming push mowers wouldn't be a good option because my lawns are so small they require a lot of turning, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Sponsored Links
IME, the fag is having to stop and empty the thing frequently.

How much roomier is the grass collector on the new machine?

Post some photos of the garden. Is there no way of making ramped sections between the lawns so the mower doesn't have to go up and down the steps?

Sponsored Links
Post some photos of the garden. Is there no way of making ramped sections between the lawns so the mower doesn't have to go up and down the steps?
Not easily, and one of the lawns is in front of my house so I take the mower through the garage.

Has anyone got experience of using a hover mower vs a wheeled mower of a comparable size and price? Would I be right in assuming that the wheeled version cuts better or faster? They seem to have different style blades, perhaps because they don't need to hover. If they do cut better then I might see if I get on better with one of them, if they're similar then I don't see what the advantage is compared to a hover mower..

Thanks again

Not easily, and one of the lawns is in front of my house so I take the mower through the garage.

Has anyone got experience of using a hover mower vs a wheeled mower of a comparable size and price? Would I be right in assuming that the wheeled version cuts better or faster? They seem to have different style blades, perhaps because they don't need to hover. If they do cut better then I might see if I get on better with one of them, if they're similar then I don't see what the advantage is compared to a hover mower..

Thanks again
Wheeled mowers are faster over longer distances (straight runs), in a small area the turning slows you down.

I've never got on with hover mowers, would much rather use a strimmer, which would be faster than a wheeled mower in a small/odd shaped area.

You'd save a huge amount if time not mowing it, or at least mowing it less. Let some of go a bit more wild. You can mow paths where you walk. Much better for wildlife and less work for you, win-win

Last edited:
My garden is split into three lawns, approximately 50 m² each and split on differently levels requiring moving the mower down steps between them. I'm currently using a small old electric hovering Flymo (30 cm blade, 1150 W motor) which does seem an appropriate tool given the limitations, it is nimble and easy to move up and down steps. The problem is it takes me the best part of an hour to mow the three lawns, emptying the grass collector between 3-8 times depending on the grass length.

I expect a large push mower could mow this amount of grass in about ten minutes if it weren't for all the obstacles, so I'm wondering what type of mower would be a good in between. I've looked at the new Flymos, they sell one with a 36 cm blade and 1800 W motor, but will it really save me that much time? The new models also look less robustly made than the older ones.

I'm assuming push mowers wouldn't be a good option because my lawns are so small they require a lot of turning, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!
Not a big area to mow if youre reasonably fit, the ability to push a petrol mower at different speeds is an advantage imo, especially with lower weight and manoeuvrability. Some outstanding battery mowers coming onto the market but still very expensive.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back