flymo hp 40 lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks i bought this petrol flymo second hand spares or repair got the mower running after putting a couple of litres of oil in then found oil leak is there anywhere i can get a repair manual on this or has some one had this problem who could help thanks alan

Sponsored Links
Presumably this will have a Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh engine, Alan.
Can you find out which it is, or post a picture?
Most common oil leak places are the lower crank seal (underneath) or the tappet cover on the side.
John :)

Hi john it is the tecumseh engine ,oil was comeing out from underneath and then back through the oil filler seal where it goes into the engine cheers alan.

Ok Alan lets start from scratch, as two litres of oil is way too much and the engine will chuff it out anyway.
The engine will either have a dipstick in a tube, at the side of the engine, or a yellow plastic plug at the bottom, with a tiny dipstick moulded on.
Get the oil level correct, clean all the spillage from the cutter deck and we'll take it from there once the engine starts up.
If you need to look under the machine, always tip it back onto the handles, not onto one side.
Was the engine seized, by any chance when you got the machine - and does it blow blue smoke when it is running?

Sponsored Links
I love a bargain, how much? We bought an Audi 80 a few years back for £100 and its still part of the family.

As above, all good advice.

You might just pull out the air filter see if its dirty and the little vent pipe from the sump into the air filter box? Check that it works, and not blocked.

Happy days ....... a proper bargain :D

Hello john when i put the oil in first i was checking the dipstick ,i started the mower again and it seems that the seal if one ,where the oil tube sits on the engine oil is comeing from there was no blue smoke but the oil seems to look a bit creamy .If this is going to be a big job i will sell it on as runner with oil leak cheers alan.

Alan, the oil tube has an 'o' ring to keep it oil tight - chances are its missing or has hardened with age. I use a smear of blue Hylomar or similar to seal these.
Creamy oil is a sure sign of a high moisture content, and that will disappear when the oil is changed.

Back