FM RADIO - AWFUL RECEPTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bed-side FM Sony Radio. I use it to listen mostly to BBC Radio 4 and Radio 2. It can have perfect reception or total interference when it is moved even a few inches. It is 10 ft from the window. It has a 2 ft. dangly wire aerial and it's driving me bonkers.

I can move the power cable a couple of inches and that changes the reception the most. I can lay it on it's side and that sometimes helps. I can move the aerial around and reception goes from perfect to crap. Of course if my wife wanders around the signal varies.

Short of buying a new radio or moving the bed to the window, has anyone got any simple remedies. As I say, when the radio, cable and arerial are moved to an optimum place on my bed-side table it is perfect, though this position is different for different stations.

Sponsored Links
string more wire around the room with drawing pins, down to the aerial & attach it. :D

The wave length on VHF radio is just under 2 meters and with a small aerial every 2 meters or so closer or further from transmitter the signal will fade and return especially where the aerial is allowed to drop down rather than be fixed in up direction. Adding more wire as already said is likely to improve the signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back