Radio hiss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen radio often hisses (yeah OK, snakes...). It's tuned to FM, and where I stand in the room makes a difference. I'll go up and re-tune it. It's fine. as I walk away, it get worse again. Go back and put my hand on it...perfect reception!

Is it something to do with earthing, and if so what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Radio is broadcast from lots of different transmitters. The BBC as it's own network. The independents have theirs. Your radio will be picking up signals from several transmitters but only be tuned in to one at once. The others are background interference. When you move around your body blocks signals. This makes the reception better or worse.

I have the same problem with a clock radio in the bedroom. There's no socket for a proper external aerial so I'm kind of stuffed too :(

Hmmm, kitchen, best place in the house for RFI, fridge compressors, ignition sparkers, microwaves (the worst culprit) all good for interfearence causing.

best be it move it nearer to a window/outside wall, or use an external aerial.

Sponsored Links
Find out where your nearest FM transmitter is, and place the radio where it has the best line of sight to the transmitter.

Used to be you could find out the locations from the BBC site, but maybe not anymore....

www.digitalspy.co.uk?
google?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back