Foam washer - How tight? Toilet Cistern Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just fitted a new close coupled toilet. Its leaking at the blanking plug in the cistern. It has 2 foam washers, one above and one below. The first time i hand tightened the nut and it was dripping. I then used a spanner to tighten (holding the plastic bolt with a screwdriver in the cistern) and its still weeping.

What should I do now? Try tightening even more? Use silicone? Use LSX (I have some) or buy a new blank plug - Screwfix do them

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Water will be seeping along the thread path. Coat threads with LSX and reassemble with the foam washers. But "foam" really isn't ideal for sub-surface sealing, you'd be better off with a proper rubber compound.

If you can find and fit a proper rubber washer under the plug inside the cistern, this will prevent water reaching the threads. It must be rubber, not nylon or fibre.

Sponsored Links
recently installed a CC toilet and its the 2nd time where the supplied fittings were rotten and leaked. got a set of metal screws with triangular rubber washers, as well as new large rubber washer (all from toolstation, so about a fiver in total) and they resolved the issue. now, next time I buy a CC i will immediately replace these fittings without thinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back