Foil backed plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All ,
I am currently decorating one of our bedrooms . When removing the paper from the wall under the window , some of the foil backing has come away from the plasterboard . I need to get the wall smooth , so I can line it , then paint .
I`m just wondering , is thre a product you can buy to replace the foil - will ordinary tin foil do ? . Also , whats the best method of sticking it to the wall . And whats the best way forward in order to get a smooth finish ?
Cheers , Colin

Sponsored Links
I don't quite follow you Colin when you say the foil backing has peeled away from the plasterboard while removing the wallpaper from under the window. The foil is normally on the "back" of the sheet of plasterboard,, unless,,,, someone has put the sheet on back to front,,,, or they have stuck some type of foil to the face of the sheet to reflect heat,, (maybe there was a radiator under the window in the past),,,, or it is a make of plasterboard that I've never come across before..... Sorry, but that's it from me. ;)

Roughcaster.

0h right then ! I assumed it was to prevent damp - Do you think its not worth replacing the foil then , if it looks as though its been put on the wrong way round - sorry about the confusion !! (by the way the radiator in that room has never been on that wall- its on the wall opposite)

Sponsored Links
Foil on the back of a sheet of plasterboard is a moisture barrier. The sheet is fixed to a stud wall with screws, with the paper side of the sheet facing out,, the foil facing inwards. I don't know whether the foil you mention has been stuck onto the sheet, or whether the sheet has been fixed on back to front as I said earlier. Check out the sheet for any signs of damp/staining,, just in case. I don't know whether you can buy special foil to stick onto plasterboard,, i don't think ordinary foil would work,, unless anyone else knows. If it's already had paper on the wall once before with no problem, then maybe you could use a little filler here to level off any small blemishes, and then put on your lining paper..

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back