Footing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,
am in the process of getting quotes for a single story extension, had 3 or 4 so far, a builder today told me all the footings would have to be just under 2m deep due to having a bay tree close by ( from my understanding the bay has a ball root and shouldn't effect footings) the builder explianed the local BC has a thing about trees and demands 2m as soon as he sees a tree in close proximty. none of the other builders have mentioned this and have said 1m would be fine.

so my question...is it worth going for the 1m as stated on plans and seeing if i get away with it, or as todays builder suggests 2m

appricate all help and suggestions

Sponsored Links
the bay tree must be about 15 foot and the soil seems to be chalky not sure if that is the correct terminolgy

Sponsored Links
If you dont have any clay soil then the tree will be no problem. Dig a trial hole to find out, if you can make a Wallace and Grommit with your soil come back to us ;) :LOL:
Without pruning bays can reach 40ft :eek:

If you dont have any clay soil then the tree will be no problem. Dig a trial hole to find out, if you can make a Wallace and Grommit with your soil come back to us ;) :LOL:
Without pruning bays can reach 40ft :eek:
lol.. i like that..
Also how close is the bay to the foundations, even in high plasticity clay the bay only has about 8m radius of influence.. and only if it was ontop of the footing would you need to be 2m down.. its only a moderate demand tree

no wallace and grommit thank goodness, bay will be about a 1m away from wall. thanks for taking the time to help me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back