Leylandii hedge effect on proposed 2 storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Leylandii hedge 3m tall about 6m from where I intend to build on top of an existing extension - A builder I contacted said I would need to have 2m deep footings - the existing house has only 1m footings .

I don't want to involve the council planning / building regs people just yet - I could reduce the hedge to 2m before they do an inspection. it hasn't caused any problems as far as I know , it is 300mm from tarmac pavement and not caused any problems to the ppath surface - The hedge is about 25 yers old and is pruned twice a year.

there are some other Leylandiis in the garden - abut same height about 3m from existing extension ( extension about 28 yrs old trees about 27 yrs old but pruned regularly.

Will I have problems when i submit my building plans ?

Sponsored Links
See our answer on your first post.
Now you have come back with second post and thrown more variables in to complicate the matter with regard to the trees 3m away from the extension which was not mentioned in your first post.
Leylandii 3 metre away from extension requires depth of foundation of 1250 deep. You are now in a grey area and your only way out is to argue that you are building on top of existing extension and not forming new foundations.
Planning is not interested in your trees, but Building Regs are.
Note.If trees are forming hedge, by law they are 1 metre over the limit.
Please do not come back and say you now have a weeping willow growing in the lounge.
Regards oldun

See our answer on your first post.
Now you have come back with second post and thrown more variables in to complicate the matter with regard to the trees 3m away from the extension which was not mentioned in your first post..............
.........Please do not come back and say you now have a weeping willow growing in the lounge.
Regards oldun

Sorry oldun I do apologise, I didn't realise that I had to list all of the potential build problems in one post. I didn't know at the time the Leylandii may cause a problem it is not a boundary hedge and it only affects my property.
Unfortunately I do not have a crystal ball to foresee future problems etc, otherwise I would use it to invest my mortgage on the Euro lottery, win millions and buy a ready built villa in Monte Carlo. Problem solved

I may have problems in sorting the roof, extending the gas central heating, garage flooring etc - I hope not but at the moment I don't know.

I did also have a problem regarding whether to use RSJs or Lintels or a combination to sort a design mass loading query - but I think I have worked it out - I hope I'm correct and won't need to ask here if I am.

I assumed that it would be easier if the questions were raised as the problems arose and kept seperate so that the answers can be focussed.

I apreciated the answers to my previous question and it pointed to a product I was not aware that will solve the problem. Thankyou again

Sponsored Links
Building regs would look for deeper foundations (assuming you are in clay soil) no matter if you cut them down to 1m.. only way to reduce depth required would be remove them completely.. Even then you may require deeper foundations that existing as the footings would be designed for height on removal of trees rather than mature height..
Do you like fences?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back