footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anybody help just dug footing,s. the bottom of excising footing,s are 4ft 5 inch down problem is water in bottom of footing,s that have now been dug for new extension is 5 inch deep. does any one know what to do i have been told it is the water level and that i will have to put a dry mix in before concrete is poured thank,s to the top of footing,s

Sponsored Links
Re-type your sentence in English and you may get an answer.

Reading your current text is somewhat painful.

hi can anybody help just dug footing,s. the bottom of excising footing,s are 4ft 5 inch down problem is water in bottom of footing,s that have now been dug for new extension is 5 inch deep. does any one know what to do i have been told it is the water level and that i will have to put a dry mix in before concrete is poured thank,s to the top of footing,s

Can I Interprete :D (ilo1, correct me if I'm wrong!)

The bottom of his existing foundations are 4ft 5inch deep. The new extension foundation trench has been dug to the same level and has filled with 5 inches of water. He has been told that is the water table level and that he will now have to put in a dry mix before the he can pour the concrete foundation but does not understand what all this means.

I would suggest:
Depending on how quick the water comes in (assuming it is not flooding in!) you would need to pump out as much as you can then quickly put a layer of concrete in the bottom that has the absolute minimum amount of water content in it (The dry mix). Fill to say 6 inches deep and let that set. Your trench should then remain clear of water for the structural foundation mix to be poured on top afterwards.

The water table is the natural level of water in the ground. Backfilling with the dry mix allows you to get above this. The mix would not have any contribution to the strength of the foundations but would raise the level of the ground in your trench so that the ground water is not a problem.

It should go without saying, all this should be done with the approval of your Building Control Officer.

You are lucky the water level is not higher as that would really give you a headache due to the minimum depth for the foundations.

Sponsored Links
years ago BC and NHBC preferred dry mix in these situation and thennnnnnnnnnnnnn NHBC went against this thinking and required stronger concrete as the water was washing out the cement and weakening the concrete.
pump out as much water as poss and then trench fill the foundation.i always trench fill all foundations.easier and saves my back from lifting and lowering blocks in awkward cramped spaces.i always concrete to with 4500mm of DPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back