Ford Focus rear axle snapping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi My son has just had an accident in his ford focus caused by the rear axle snapping and he ended up in a ditch Can anyone tell me if there are any known faults with rear axles on ford focus cars I am not sure of the model all I do know is it is on a 55 plate and I think it is a 1.6, he's only had it a couple of months. One of the problems we have is the insurance company are only covering the damage NOT the cause He does have a mechanical warranty on it so not sure if he is covered by that yet as it only happened last Friday evening. This is why I am trying to find out if it is a manufactures problem as the car is not that old and you don't expect the rear axle to snap He wasn't doing any great speed and the AA man said he is lucky he landed in soft mud or else the car would have flipped So quite scary really Look forward to any replies

Sponsored Links
A rear axle snapping as you describe cannot possibly be regarded as normal wear and tear. I would fully expect the mechanical warranty to cover such a compnonet. Indeed, there may well be grounds pursuing compensation against the loss of any no-claims bonus that your son may have had previously. Might be a bit of a battle, though. Good luck. ;)

A rear axle snapping as you describe cannot possibly be regarded as normal wear and tear. I would fully expect the mechanical warranty to cover such a compnonet. Indeed, there may well be grounds pursuing compensation against the loss of any no-claims bonus that your son may have had previously. Might be a bit of a battle, though. Good luck. ;)

Hi Thanks for that Yes I thought the same What I really needed to know is if there have been other cases of this happening as it will give me more strength to pursue ford over it as it is not just the repair its also the fact my son has a bad back from it and the time it is taking to sort it all out

Have a look through this very useful site: The Consumers' Action Group. this is for the Vehicle retailers and manufacturers. Alternatively check out this for Garage Services on the same site. Furthermore you could try Honest John for an opinion.

Sponsored Links
Have a look through this very useful site: The Consumers' Action Group. this is for the Vehicle retailers and manufacturers. Alternatively check out this for Garage Services on the same site. Furthermore you could try Honest John for an opinion.

Hi I will look at the links and its funny I have posted a sim thing on honest Johns at the same time I did this one Thanks for your help I will update as and when In the hope it helps others

sure he didn't go in the ditch and break the axle?
Must have had to be some rather major failure to just "break". How long was it since the last MOT?

sure he didn't go in the ditch and break the axle?
Must have had to be some rather major failure to just "break". How long was it since the last MOT?
Hi It had a new mot when he bought it couple months ago and he tells me he he thought he hit the kerb then spun out of control and landed in the ditch As I said the wheel was a bit away from the car So I suspect what happened was the axle snapped which made him swerve and hit the kerb spun the car and ended in the ditch If he broke it landing in the ditch then im sure the wheel would have been with the car But then I wasn't there and I do belive what my son said Sounds to me like a faulty axle That is why im on here to find out if anyone else has had the same or similar problem

Maybe the hitting of the curb snapped the axle? I work with Ford focus`s and have never experienced this sort of problem! The cars I work with take alot of stick and non have suffered a rear axle failure like you describe with out some sort of cause such as striking a curb.

Maybe the hitting of the curb snapped the axle? I work with Ford focus`s and have never experienced this sort of problem! The cars I work with take alot of stick and non have suffered a rear axle failure like you describe with out some sort of cause such as striking a curb.
Hi King boy As I said in my original post I belive my son hit the curb after the axle snapped as the rear wheel was some distance from the car and also it is the rear axle not the front one I accept you have knowlege of the cars I am actually trying to find out if there is any known faults like this and it appears from what you say there probably isnt he is actually 25 years old so past the boy racer stage lol

Over 25's still hit the curb too ;)

Over 25`s can be boy racers too :p :oops: I sometime`s partake in alittle back lane right foot action, obviously within the permitted speed limits!! and Im 28 :oops:

This thread is starting to loose the plot I am not really interested in how old you have to be To be a boy racer or not Sorry to be abrupt but im trying to find the answer to what could have been quite a serious accident for my son (the AA's words not mine) So I repeat can anyone tell me if they have any knowlege of ford focuses having snapped back axles please

Sponsored Links
Back