Ford Focus Y Reg, Steering feels loose for 1st two inchs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ford focus seems to have a fault no one has ever heard of.

When there is no pressure on the steering (going in a straight line of a long bend) the car is fine. When you go to turn, everything is ok for a couple of inches of turning the wheel then you get a slight jolt on the wheel. after that everything id fine again. it is like the power steering is kicks in after a couple of inches of turning.
I can only explain the feeling as when you turn over a slippery man hole or a little peace of ice.
I spoke to one garage and they said it is safe but there are some bushes in the steering rack that are at fault???. they said i need a new steering rack which is not cheep to fit.
Has any one ever heard of this, my mot and ix due soon, so do i fix it or sell it?

Sponsored Links
How long ago did you change the fluid....has it ever been changed? Hydraulic Fluid over time gets moisture trapped within it and this is a possible cause....same effect of spongey brakes....may indicate other problem however.

Park car with wheels dead straight.

lightly push steering left and right...any clunking? if so Steering rack on its way out.

My old Focus gave up its Steering rack at 68,000 not that thats an indicator of anything...but they do go.

Got shot of the car before the problem got worse as at the time the job wernt cheap

Just wondering if you managed to get this fixed yet.
My focus seems to have a similar problem. You can see a quick video of it here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ATjdVu1Ff-Q

Is it the same? I've taken it to two garages and they don't know what it is. It's driving me mad!
Cheers for any info

Sponsored Links
Back