Vauxhall Combo van: front suspension knock & uneven tyre wear.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last MoT the tester told me my 'inner steering arm joint was slightly loose'. There has been a knock in the front suspension for some months. It's NOT the drop links, but having investigated with the steering rack boot removed I can see the steering rack moving forwards when I bias the offside front wheel towards the left. It's not a 'clunk' at all, but then I probably can't put as much torque into moving the wheel as the engine can! The movement is 2-3 mm at the rack, and the steering arm joint is sound. At lower speeds, such as when starting to apply throttle after slowing for a junction, there is often a judder that reminds me of worn engine mounts/steadies - but all the mountings are OK.
The secondary symptom is that the front tyres are wearing prominently on their outer shoulders.

I've ordered a reconditioned steering rack. My questions are:
1. It seems an easy replacement, just two bolts for the rack housing. Is the electric power steering actuator also easy to remove? It seems a bit tight for space in there.
2. Is rack wear a common fault in the Combo? I'm very light on the steering, and don't turn the steering wheel unless the road wheels are turning. The van has done 160,000 miles, and I can't vouch for those miles up to 80,000.

MM

Sponsored Links
Back