Ford Fiesta 2004 Diesel steering problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had the front coil springs replaced on my Fiesta after the offside one broke. The car has done 76000 miles. When I picked car up from garage the steering was very firm and did not centralize, the garage checked it and have replaced the suspension mounts thinking this could be the problem the steering is the same. They check the tracking and wheel alignment and the steering universal joint no problem. They are at a loss and are now talking about stripping down the steering rack. PS the car has power steering. anybody have any ideas :cry:

Sponsored Links
As the garage if they replaced the 'strut top bearings' - these allow the spring/strut to swivel with the steering and they are often forgotten. In fact lots of 'mechanics' dont even know they are there.....
Replacing a spring does not interfere with the power steering at all.
John :)

I also should have said that there is an easy test for this....
With the car jacked up and its wheels dangling, ask the mechanic to remove the track rod end from one strut at a time. It should be possible to swing the strut throughout its steering arc no problem if alls well. If its tight then there are other issues, as suggested.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back