Ford Transit and hacked alarm/central locking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told today of a theft of tools and gear from a Ford Transit after a hack of the built in alarm and locking system.

This occurred in DIY store carpark in daytime and went unnoticed - well without anyone batting an eyelid about what seemed to be two builders transferring stuff from one van to another. The contractor only discovered later that his stuff had been nicked, as there was no damage and no signs of theft.

What did not seem odd at the time, but was relevant in hindsight, was that the thieves approached the target van quickly and parked close to it in their van as the contractor parked up. Apparently this was to enable the thieves to get close enough and quick enough to capture the alarm code as the driver exited the van and activated his remote fob.

So if you have a Transit (or similar) it may be worth investigating if your system is vulnerable, and find out how near someone needs to be to pick up your key fob code - and watch out for suspicious activity in carparks.

Sponsored Links
it may be worth investigating if your system is vulnerable

Always check that the vehicle has locked it's doors if you are using a remote fob as you walk away from the vehicle. One method criminals use prevents the "lock command" from reaching the vehicle so it remains unlocked and the alarm dis-abled.

Someone told me that on some Transits you can cut the wire leading to the rear door and it unlocks.

Its done with a tibble key.

You need extra dead locks on the doors to stop it.

Andy (Transit owner)

Sponsored Links
Always check that the vehicle has locked it's doors if you are using a remote fob as you walk away from the vehicle. One method criminals use prevents the "lock command" from reaching the vehicle so it remains unlocked and the alarm dis-abled.

Doesn't make a difference. With the right tools the remote deadlock can be bypassed.

Someone told me that on some Transits you can cut the wire leading to the rear door and it unlocks.

That was possible on the MK6. They do try it with the MK7 (happened to me) and although it won't get them it, it does ruin your locking and you need to replace the harness. Which is tricky considering the van is deadlocked then not controllable once the wires have been cut. It's advisable to install loom guards to stop them cutting wires.

Its done with a tibble key.

You need extra dead locks on the doors to stop it.

Andy (Transit owner)

Bought one of these tools off the net myself. Had my van broken into 3 times. First time they got away with drills, lasers and a guitar (about 2k). Second time they took my ashtray with about 15 quid in, and last time there was nothing in there for them.

Tried the tool myself on my own van just to see how easy it was. I've had no lock picking experience but I managed to open the remote deadlocked doors and back in about a minute.

While you can add your own dead locks or slam locks I've found its best to just leave the van empty, put a steering lock on and let them get in. That way they won't do any panel damage trying, which will cost more in the long run than anything they might pinch.

Never leave tools in them. That's your best bet.

Back