form work for quoins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am renovating an old home. Previous owners have removed all paint render etc from exteriour stonework. Problem is the stone quoins look a mess around windows and corners, so i wish to render them in a red oxide mix. NOW how do i go about this? I have no problem rendering but there is not one flat even surface so how do i batten it for screeding. I could put a batten up for the half quoin but then i am left with the problem of half the large quoin to render. The other way might be to batten the full corner and cut out the unwanted bits (messy and fraught with danger) can anyone help. maybe someone has been there and has an answer. :eek:
Thank you in anticipation
Bryan

Sponsored Links
A photo or two might help someone give you good advice on this.

You have done quoins before, I take it?

I might be wrong, but I think your main problem is getting the battens to line up?

First thought is to use a weak mortar or lime /sand to pull a screed down the side of the quoin. This will be knocked off after you have finished. I am assuming that it should not stain the stonework of the wall too much if it has been previously painted etc This screed will allow you to fix the battens for your quion formwork in a flat plane.

Make sure you cut it off along the inside edge of the batten, maybe with a pointing trowel, so that it is not caught in your render.

You might prefer to do one side one day, and then the other side. This will allow you to put a batten up to form the external angle and leave it there, if you like, before returning- depending on how happy you are at returning rules. Although it looks in the picture (to me) that the existing quoins are not seperated by a batten on their hrizontal joint, you could do this by putting a batten across there, fixed to the vertical one sitting on teh screed (on the inside) and thje vertical one on tthe outside edge. This might solve your problem with the half.

I know I haven't explained it too clearly, so come back with questions.

[/i][/b]

Sponsored Links
I like the idea of render for the verticle i could maybe use pads every foot /50 cm. If i make the verticle batten level with a board on the window reveal
this would sort out that problem. NOW how does this sound for the horizontals ? A square/rectangle piece the size of the non rendered area and i could put large screws in the board at the floppy end that i can use to get my faces even by winding in or out. One decent template should do all.

Thanks for your input
Bryan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back