Found this open in a cupboard. Ouch !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know we all love pictures so heres one from today's job.

Could have been nasty while putting the hoover away !! No nut and bolt holding it closed, just flapping about open.
Just done PIR and found this. Am I right that this fusing of the neautral is no longer safe practice ? Must be about 1950's or older ? Earthed to water main and no MEB either. Will be applying for a pme on this amongst lots of other upgrading.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/marcusone_photos/DSC00088.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suggest you get on to DNO asap on their emergency number as it's an unsafe supply

I second that.

A fused neutral is very unsafe, and I beleive was outlawed in the mid-fifties

Oh and the whole direct contact thing too :eek: :eek:

I've secured the the service head closed and will be on the phone in the morning. Thanks guys .

Sponsored Links
One reason being if the fuse goes open circuit the neutral throughout the installation becomes live which is not good.

Fused neutrals are OK if you use double pole MCB's

Why does a spark ask if fusing a neutral is unsafe?

That's not the question he was asking he was asking for confirmation of his correct assumption.

Interesting.

This week I've come accross two 'company heads' which have this set up. Should the DNO replace them for the customer? Once of them fed a brand new digital meter - they obviously weren't bothered when they put this in!

SB

Round our way YEDL do the cutouts, and meter plus do the meters.

Two seperate companies.

Meter men don't seem bothered in the slightest what state the incommer or the outgoing circuit and cables is in.

Pensdown said:
One reason being if the fuse goes open circuit the neutral throughout the installation becomes live which is not good.

The other being if the fuse goes open circuit, the power will fail, but leave the installation "live".

RF Lighting said:
Meter men don't seem bothered in the slightest what state the incommer or the outgoing circuit and cables is in.

Spot-on, RF. Only t'other day I saw a brand-spanking-new digital meter connected to under-sized, frayed, braided, brittle rubber-insulated tails to the cutout.

(YEDL must have me on 'Family & Friends" by now... we chat most days! :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back