Foundation / Drain issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am extremely new to this forum arena so please bear with me.

I am quite a handy man so took on some work to save money for my mother in law, keeps me in the good books also!

Basically I am in the process of digging the foundations for a 3mx7m rear single storey bungalow extension. Hopefully in the pictures attached you can see the 3ish meter return trench, I have exposed the drain, what I think is the gas pipe (near the property wall, British Gas are going to move the meter so this isnt an issue later on) and also another pipe that runs about 400 above the drain and continues across in to the neighbours property (as yet I dont know what this is). As I got towards the other end of the 7m trench I exposed where the drain crosses into the neighbouring property and the rain and sink drainage. How this mapped out really confused me in to what I would need to do to either re-route or bridge this.
The sink drain and rain water drain will be blocked off when the extension is built and a new drain return is input. But as the main drain crosses the return trench to enter the neighbours property at around 150 below ground level I am uncertain how this could be bridged. Can anyone sugest how this may be overcome.

Please feel free to ask for further info

Thank you. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The line running onto your property from the neighbour is a public drain. You should have a build-over agreement for this with your drainage company.

1. As above, and consult with BCO ( write down what she or he tells you).

2. Its doubtful that BCO will allow you to proceed without a submitted drawing.

3. Consult with your neighbour and perhaps (with their permission) take a pic of their side - where the drainage and utility are heading?

4. Determine where your utilities enter your property - the drainage is common and the utilities could be common.

5. Sooner rather than later, erect a couple of batter boards and strings to show the proposed FFL.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jeds + Dann09 for your response.
I have got my engineer and architect involved for ideas of possible solutions.
I was concerned that a build over could not be done due to how close to the surface the pipe is.
I will use your advice and get the bco to have a look.
I may be back for more advice after these give me their thoughts.

Cheers guys.

You either need a build-over agreement (if you build over) or a build-near agreement (if you build within 3m) of a public drain. Those agreements are made with the relevant drainage utility company. You will run into problems if you don't have one or the other because BCO will not proceed without.

John,

I have submitted full planning are are now waiting for stuctural calcs to be input on drawings for building regs, I have been told these will be sent to Yorkshire Water for their input.
We will see what they come back with.

Cheers.

Thanks for coming back with what happened next info.

If possible, hold fire on full calcs & plans etc. merely do as above, and get views, first from the Utility and then from the BCO - it might save a lot of time and treasure.

Anyhow, do keep us informed about your progress - remember that there are also others watching and taking notes for their projects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back