Foundation width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently laid foundations for a new dwelling. My house was passed for finishing the exterior with natural stone. The guy i used to draw plans for the house advised that 600mm foundations would allow for this. I have recently read that when laying dense concrete blocks on a foundation the trench/concrete should be twice as wide as the width of the block to be used. I have also been advised by stonemasons that the 600mm foundations are sufficient, however they suggest that i use an 18" by 9" block and turn it on its side therefore meaning the wall would be 18" wide. My concern with this is that it means an 18" block would be resting on a 24" wide footing. What would you think about this? I obviously want to ensure the building is structurally sound. I am aware that this would leave the trench tight for brickie, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with it (In reality trench is probably 26" wide overall despite being dug with 2 foot digger bucket). Please note i am also planning on using prestressed flooring at ground floor level on top of these walls.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back