foxhunting ban?

So wickerman perhaps you are right that townies do not subsidise farming,i should have written the taxpayer instead.We pay our taxes and in turn some is given to the EU who in turn pay farmers to do nothing in there fields,then of course theirs the subsidies and grants they get.
When was the last time a sparky,plumber,brickie etc received a grant/subsidy or payment? Did the miners get anything from EU or government coffers?
Then of course there is the dormant threat of bse in the population because farmers fed herbivores meat waste in a bid to make fast buck :evil:

Sponsored Links
Oilman says "dont knock it till you've tried it?
So i take it we will see you crossdressing down at the Blue Oyster then? :D

At least sparkies are getting the great new Part P closed shop law to stop anyone else doing their work. That should get a few bob out of the public.

No mate, I would extend the right to roam a lot further. British farmland is virtually a park these days.

If gypsies had more places to stay, they wouldn't cause such a fuss when a whole lot stop in one place.

Did you notice they won the right to actually stop on land they had bought themselves.....which the council had refused permission for.......because the council had also not provided them anywhere at all.

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd shoot all gypos :D
Ireland is welcome to you wickerman :D

Ah, the Common Agricultural Policy. AKA "Operation let's penalise the countries who are good at farming". The British farmers were the most successful in all the countries that form the EU. I believe the Dutch are also rather good. The CAP then put restrictions in place to allow "competition". In other words, help peasant countries like France and Spain. Artificially trying to adjust the balance. Our farming approach had been undergoing constant improvement, advancement and modernisation since, oooh, the 17th century I believe. Possibly earlier if you include the period where strip farming was abolished. :rolleyes:

Now, why should we have to subsidise lazy foreign farmers? We don't penalise the German car industry. Can you imagine that? "Sorry BMW but you can only make 500 cars this year. Rover needs revitalisation so they are getting your old quota." Or what about wine?! "Sorry France, but the few vineyards that exist in England can't compete with your prices, so give us a billion quid to help them along". Or Spain... Erm... "Sorry Spain, but... Erm..." What is it they do again? Other than steal our fish and live in the places we like to use for holidays? :LOL:

I buy British wherever possible. If I can't buy British, I buy Commonwealth (haven't drunk French wine in years, but plenty of South African and Aussie). I also buy far more milk than I ever need. If I use it all, great. If I don't, I can afford to tip a few pints down the drain when it goes past it's use by date and if I don't, the dairy farmers will have their quotas reduced or have to pay to dispose of it themselves.

I have a great idea for the countryside. Now we have all these fields empty because we are getting second rate produce from Johnny F. Oreigner, why not grow oil-bearing crops for fuel? Surely they can't have a problem with that, it isn't competition for Gasbard D'Accone on his garlic farm (Ironic fact: we eat more garlic than the French). ;)

I pledge that if British farmers start to grow oil crops to fuel cars, I WILL BUY A FREAKIN' DIESEL CAR AND USE THEIR OIL! Now that is a hard thing for me to say.

I gave you budding entrepreneurs the wink ages back .. farming cars .. bu99er playing with the dirt .... It is still happening !! £25 p/w, pick up and delivery to airport .... next to no o/heads just space needed relatively near to an up and coming airport.
Think it is nonsense ? Look out the window if you fly into Brissel airport .... you'll see what I mean !! fields full of 'em .... Dont belittle the farmers intelligence with nonsense about towing cars out of mud bath fields ... hard cored, shaled and rolled where necessary ..... No wonder they are fighting for the right to continue, through the courts .. they can afford it !!
Look at the date below .... near 2 yrs of creaming it by next month !!!
SOUTH AREA COMMITTEE
20TH NOVEMBER 2002 PARISH VOICE
(5.30 PM – 5.50 PM)
PARISH COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT:
Winscombe and Sandford Parish Council – Mr ### ##### (Parish Councillor)
Airport Car Parking Off-Site of the Airport

The Chairman of Winford Parish Council, Mr ### #####, raised the issue of Airport car parking off-site at Bristol International Airport.
Mr #### drew members’ attention to the following issues:
· The probability that the parking on various sites was illegal.

· There had been no response to letters informing North Somerset of instances.

· Serious situation arising.

· Winford Parish Council has set of aerial photographs giving clear evidence of illegal parking of cars.

· Land-owners ignoring legislation.

· Government should ensure more:
Funds for enforcement
Special powers to enforce and speed up process.
:eek: :cool:

P

The names dam, not dom, people call me all the time.

Well now, another story about the countryside?

Our council has spent many years working on its area plan A great source of excitement for the local papers over the years. Roughly speaking, it bans all development throughout the local countryside. Except in one area immediately adjacent to a local town, where otherwise identical countryside is officially considered worthless and ideal for building, but never mind that.

The council was required to conduct a sustainability survey to prove what a good plan it had. The consultants report was that it was unclear to them what effect starving the countryside of all development would have.

Whoever it was, I damn well agree that the countryside is wholly utterly and irredeemably man made. We made the things people like. we made the things people do not like.

But it really is a park. It really does depend upon subsidy to keep it the way it is. But townies have this crazy idea it is wild and natural instead of the reality that it is a factory and industrial wasteland. They persist in this stupid idea that to preserve the countryside you either concrete over it piece by piece, or keep it eternally frozen like a christmas card. You can not treat the countryside like that. It must have people living and working in it. It must have new industry growing in it. Just at the right scale.

Maybe foxhunting has dam all to do with town planning. But in a way it does. Both these laws indicate total ignorance about how the countryside works.

"briton", very subtle ;)

You have hit it there.

The way I look at it is, the British farmer is not suited to growing grapes and olives. So why should he attempt it? By the same logic, why should farmers in grape and olive countries try to grow the North European/Scandinavian crops?

The ultimate model of the future of Europe would be partially based on the US. Now look at their current farming situation: Idaho is the "potato state", Wisconsin is the "dairy state". No-one says "Hang on, California is doing all the wine production, come on Michigan, grow some grapes!". It is OBVIOUS California will make the wine, they have the weather. In the same way that Spain, Portugal, Italy, southern France, have the climate to grow grapes thus make wine, brandy, vinegar. But root vegetables grow FAR better in the colder climates of the north.

Every year I hear "Brussels sprouts are far better after the first frost". You don't get frost in Carveiro (southern Portugal), so why grow Brussles Sprouts there? We don't have the weather for tropical plants to thrive (just look at the palm trees in Torquay) so why would we grow olives here?!

Now obviously people grow potatoes outside of Idaho, and the cows outside of Wisconsin still get milked. But in those states they are proud of what they do. I have never subscribed to the French cuisine myth, however the French can definitely cook a steak properly (take the horns off, wipe it's ass and put it on a plate). A Frenchman in his local bistro would have a much better time eating a British steak, served with French wine, English chips, followed up by a desert of "schwarzwald kirschtorte" (Blackforest gateau to us Brits). "Best of European", to extend a British phrase to the rest of the 400 million people we share a flag with.

CAP would work better if they worked it properly. Produce the produce in the right freakin' country! :rolleyes:

Fraid not wicker. britain had farm subsidies long before it joined the EU. What we had was price tariffs to keep out cheap foreign food.

The trouble is, whatever people say, if they have a choice between a thing for one price, and the same thing for twice the price, they go for the cheap one. Always. British farmers may be amongst the most efficient in Europe but they have no chance against world competition. They will all be out of business when the subsidies go. And they will go.

Likewise, people were paying over the odds for food before we joined the EU. Didn't call it tax, it was just expensive food. if Britain had to grow all its own food then first we would all be very hungry. And next the price would rocket.

Given there's 10 million properties in london, I would not be a bit surprised that 1% of them are empty. That is only 1 week empty every two years. That is something like the amount of time required for gutting and rebuilding/redecorating.

The only way to reduce farm subdidies and keep the countryside going is to get more money into the countryside. Someone has to be working there. I don't care if that is doing the rich blokes garden, delivering his groceries, or organising adventure holidays hunting foxes. Anything that brings in the dosh.

I don't agree with what you say about subsidies, in fact I think you have it TOTALLY backwards: if they withdraw subsidies to ALL EU farmers then the foreign farmers won't be able to compete with the British farmers. We have enough land to feed 60 million... just. OK, so we would still need imports but the population of England has been eating imported foodstuffs for 500 years (the Tudors loved cane sugar so much that rotting black teeth were a sign of wealth). I have nothing against importing things like bananas and pineapples. It's just when I go into Sainsbury's and the only apples are soft, soggy Spanish ones. Heck, they even have apples from the US (really rather nice, but a tad expensive) and Fiji of all places. What is wrong with the apple growers to the west and Wales?! I would sooner pay £2 a kilo for crunchy British Braeburns than £1 a kilo for soggy golden de-notvery-licious.

Exo-EU countries would also find it difficult to compete with home-grown. You can grow a carrot anywhere in the world, but if you want to grow them in e.g. Venezuela, then the transport costs will be prohibitive.

I like your ideas on keeping employment in the countryside. To an extent, this has already been going on. Where farmers have had to lay fields fallow they have often put them to other uses. Golf, go-karting, paintballing. These activities need people, especially golf. An 18-hole course requires half a dozen greensmen, a head greenskeeper, a club manager, a cook and a barman as an absolute minimum. That's 10 people for roughly 50-100 acres of land. How does that compare to a farm? I used to work for a very posh golf club that occupied over 200 acres (2 excellent 18 hole courses plus enough for another 9 holer left empty), the golf club as a whole employed around 40-50 people. Admittedly this wasn't a farmer's offshoot, it was very old. But it demonstrates the levels of employment that could be attained on 200 acres of EU-embargoed prime farmland.

Sponsored Links
Back