frame extenders on upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm fitting a new UPVC external door that has frame extenders to make up for deep plaster. These slide / clip into place and make a neat finish. Can you advise though if I need to put anything between the extenders and the frame to make sure that they are watertight. I was thinking about a small amount of plumbers mate.
Similar question applies to the threshold / cill.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
cheers
pres

Sponsored Links
you should run a bead of silicone on the back top edge of the cill before screwing it to the door frame.

not too sure about the infills,is there drainage at the bottom if any water got into the void?

Hi,
Thanks for the really quick response and I'll do that for the cill.

The frame extenders look just like the frame but in opposite section. There is room all the way through for any water to drip down but I guess that the problem will be the same as the cill - if the weather is really bad then could it blow through the plastic to plastic faces then out the other side (ie the house interior)?
Appreciate that I dont live in hurricane country and that the amount of water would be less than a little but I just wondered if there's a standard procedure.
cheers
Pres

Before you clip or knock the extender on just run a bead of silicone down the length of the door, enough for it make contact with the extender.

IF you have one at the bottom in between the cill and door then make sure you drill some drainage holes in it as per bottom of the door itself but my guess its just on the hinge side you have it

Sponsored Links
Hi,

That's a great tip thanks.
Although only needed on the hinge side, the extenders are on both sides to keep the balance looking right and on the top. It's all to do with the depth of plaster.

Thanks again for your help

Pres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back