FRANKE Professional lever tap - Changing the cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a FRANKE professional lever tap on our kitchen sink and we would like to change the cartridge but we don't know how to get it apart.

I have got the lever top off but I am unable to work out how to remove the domed top to access the nut that secures the cartridge.

I have tried twisting the dome in both directions but it will not move.

Could anyone let me know if you have to release the nut in order to remove the domed top please.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Managed to fix this, :D so this post is for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem.
After removing the tap lever, I poured some vinegar into the top of the domed section and left it overnight. The next morning, the domed cap simply unscrewed just like a bottle top. This advice was given to me by a very helpful chap at Central Services - link to their website with contact details is on Franke's site.

So to replace the cartridge, the procedure is:

Pick out the red/blue indicator with a finger nail or small screwdriver.
This provides access to a grub screw which holds the tap lever on (2mm allen key). Loosen this screw.
Tap lever will now lift off.
Unscrew dome (anticlockwise).
Check water is turned off!!
Undo large valve retaining nut.
Lift out cartridge and replace with new.
Re assembly is the reverse process

As an additional bonus, the 'sticky' valve is now operating perfectly so I've not had to install the new cartridge that I bought, but at least I've got it for the future!!

Thanks for that. Process is pretty much what one would expect. Vinegar though - wonder what properties vinegar has... similar to WD40maybe...

No, use vinegar in this situation on a tap. You are trying to dissolve the limescale that is is preventing parts from being dismantled.

Vinegar is perfect for this.

Sponsored Links
I can't use vinegar to free up my taps, 'cos all I'll have left to put on my chips is WD40.

:!: Vinegar is great at dissolving limescale - I 'pickle' the aerator from the kitchen tap and the shower head overnight whenever they start getting bunged up.

If the water around here was any harder, they'd have to deliver it with tipper trucks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back