Fraud or not.

What references where on the letter? Account number, details of the work etc.
Contact Cadent customer services and advise them that xxx is erroneously chasing a debt that is disputed for work paid in full. Given them details of the date and bank account that sent the money. Its possible they haven't matched the transfer.

Cadent would need to issue proceedings and nobody has the power to do anything until they convince a judge (district/county) that the debt is owed. No interest or costs can be charged and any attempt to bugger your credit rating can result in a claim for damages.

If you don't get anywhere you can write to the debt company by post telling them the debt it disputed and to refer back to their customer as you wont be engaging with them on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Be nice for once
Look in your mirror ;)

But I'm just wondering why a 'trade' might not have a payment receipt?

Bank records are one thing, but a hard copy would give you a minds rest!

Burden is on the claimant to prove the money is owed. There is no legal value in having a receipt unless it was payment in cash. Bank records showing the money was paid will do fine. lack of chasing, over due bill letters, emails etc.. all harm a case for costs as do any ignored letter of dispute notifications. Debts in dispute cannot be chased, without validation of the dispute.

Look in your mirror ;)

But I'm just wondering why a 'trade' might not have a payment receipt?

Bank records are one thing, but a hard copy would give you a minds rest!

If I'm honest I don't recall a hard copy... but they also haven't sent me any reminders.

It has gone to Cadent according to my bank

Sponsored Links
If I'm honest I don't recall a hard copy... but they also haven't sent me any reminders.

It has gone to Cadent according to my bank

Get it in writing/email from your bank that the money was transferred to Cadent on such and such a date.
Tell the debt company the matter is in dispute and no further communication to them will come from you until the dispute is resolved.
Whatever you do, stay calm and don't communicate verbally with any of them. Get it all down in writing/email/text message. Word of mouth is not considered evidential in any matters.

Back