debt recovery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my last bill with O2 was for £31.67, the end of my contract, however, when the direct debit was attempted, there were insufficient funds. I never heard anything from O2, however, my bank sent me a letter telling me they would charge me £30 for bouncing the payment back to O2.

Next thing i hear . . 3 months later . . a debt recovery company sends me a letter asking for £31.67 on behalf of O2 :eek:

So i whipped off a cheque to them and enclosed the letter, along with a note saying O2 never sent any final demands or attempted to contact me.

10 days later, the company phones me up asking where their money is. My bank statement arrived the previous day and the money had been taken from my account. I explained this to them. They asked me if i had written the reference number on the back of the cheque, i said no, because i wasn't told to. They said this was the problem, because they didn't know who the cheque was from when they banked it. They now want a copy of the cheque from the bank with the reference number on the back.

I went to the bank today, and requested a copy of the cheque, only to be told they dont do them in branch. I went home pretty miffed, having travelled to town centre for nothing. Phoned debt people up, explained that the cheque copy will take 10 working days to reach me, and also told them that this isn't even my problem, they have got the money, they just dont know who the hell its from.

Is it just me or is this completely bent practise? i mean, banking cheques from people, and not crediting any of their client's accounts, not even taking any notice of what i enclosed in the envelope (the original letter with reference number!)

I dont see why i should have to do anything, but they are still intent on legal proceedings if they dont get the copy of the cheque. I reluctantly phoned the bank call centre and requested a copy of the cheque :evil:

I bet they would get laughed out of court if it got that far, its all their fault for having bent financial people. Idiots. :evil: :evil: :evil: rant over

anyone else had dealings with idiots like these?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
anyone else had dealings with idiots like these?

all the time. and i even got a fine - 4 month after the offence from the DVLA. oh, and it was their fault to start with

Sponsored Links
Back