free swa in bollard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is puzzling me, though I guess there must be a way...
Wiring up three bollard lights, with swa supply from kitchen to first bollard, then swa from first to second bollard, and swa from second to third bollard.
The bollards will bolt to conc plinth with cast in trunking to feed the swa from underground into the base of the bollard.
But in the bollard, there are no bits to terminate the swa on, just the ES lamp holder and a bit of choc block.
Can anyone advise how to terminate the swa correctly?, especially where there are two swa cables in the first and second bollard.

Sponsored Links
How much room is there inside the bollard? Enough for a galvanised trouser box?

Thanks for that, I just checked the bollard instructions ( :oops: ), it says to use an IP68 termination box, so I guess there must be room inside for something appropriate. I suppose a basic 3" box will do the trick, as long as it's got two holes on the same face (and if it's IP68).

Make sure there's room inside the box for the locknut of a SWA gland. The Wiska boxes, for example, don't have room, so you couldn't use those.

I don't understand why if the bollard has an ES lampholder and a bit of choc-block inside you need the box you use to be IP68...

Sponsored Links
A good bollard would have space for a gland plate and fused cutout. The one you have will require a root box installed by each bollard.

Now you've got me worried, here's a photo of the inside of the body. It's wide enough for a single backbox sized thing, and is just tall enough for the box to be a bit above the base.
bollard.jpg

Do you think I might get away with it?

Is that all the fitting
Dont it fit on a post, usually the box goes in the post with a flex up to the lampholder,

As Bas said a trouserbox is good enough.

Yup that's it, it's a short one, to fit onto a conc plinth behind a low retaining wall.
That's the post, upside down, that the appropriate box will hopefully fit into.
I haven't found anything on the net about "trouser" boxes, other than conduit ones, do these have a suitable flat flange for the whole gland and locknut thing?
Anyway, mr proper sparky will do the work, I just don't want to find he can't do what I've assumed he can.
Thanks for advice.

A trouser box wont be suitable then, you could look at a loop in conduit box, it has 1 to 4 holes in the underside, and is round.

And a round box lid fits on top.
It looks like a normal conduit box but with no side spouts.

Thanks rocky, it sounds like mr sparky should be able to wire up the job with something suitable, so thanks for your time. xx.

Yup that's it, it's a short one, to fit onto a conc plinth behind a low retaining wall.
Could you not, in that case, keep most of the cabling external, including looping through boxes with the SWA, and running a short length up into each bollard?

I haven't found anything on the net about "trouser" boxes, other than conduit ones,
That's them:

do these have a suitable flat flange for the whole gland and locknut thing?
You don't use locknuts as the entry points are threaded:

I haven't found anything on the net about "trouser" boxes, other than conduit ones, do these have a suitable flat flange
The threads on SWA glands are the same as those used on the ends of metal conduit. This means you can screw the gland straight in. There is no need for a banjo as the threaded joint between box and gland provides a perfectly acceptable earth connection.

Thats beautiful bas, I'm much less stupid now than I was only 24hrs ago.
Still don't know if it'll all fit, but I'll ask the electrician to check out some fittings when he comes to lay the cable in.
We could put the boxes in the ground, but I'd prefer to fit it all within the bollard if poss.
Thanks all.

When they are bolted down onto the concrete plinths, how do the cables get inside?

I fitted some 25mm flexi pvc hose into the shuttering before I cast the plinth, which sticks out above the concrete and exits the shuttering at the base. Two lengths for the first two plinths, and one in the third.
The oval cut out on the base plate fits nicely over the conduit, there's enough room. Just hope I don't wreck the concrete when I take the shuttering off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back