Freelander (2003) tie bars and track rod ends.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got mechanical skills but im wanting to know just how hard it will be to change the tie bars and track rod ends at the roadside. Sadly i don't own a Haynes manual

Sponsored Links
Well that goes without saying, what i was meaning, is it a case of, windy tools maybe needed, rather than sheer brute force, or is it a case of using a few jacks rather than leaving it stood on its wheels.

Besides the correct spanners you will need a ball-joint separator, and a pipe wrench or something similar to grip the rod when unscrewing the lock nut (unless there's some other provision for this on your vehicle).

The last time I had to do one (on a Peugeot) i wouldn't have finished the job without an air impact wrench. But I could have used a hacksaw, perhaps.

It's important when dismantling to count the number turns you need to make to unscrew the ball-joint, and to move the lock nut, so that you can adjust the new one to approximately the right place, then drive to your nearest tyre fitters to get the tracking adjusted correctly.

Why not get the Haynes manual? It could save you a lot of aggro.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, now thats the type of answer I was looking for, I wouldn't have known about the ball joint separator.
Invaluable help.

As far as I know, there are three types of separator (my descriptions are my own, not the technically correct ones):

1. the wedged fork, designed to be whacked in with a hammer

2. the simple press tool, that uses a screw acting directly on the stud of the ball-joint, to push it out

3. the side lever type, which has a fulcrum to provide mechanical advantage to push the joint apart

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience to tell you which is best. My guess is that 1. might be crude but effective, provided you have room to swing a heavy hammer (I have a fork tool, but have never actually used it); 2. (the type I use) is compact and will work OK so long as the joint isn't very badly stuck; 3. I guess must apply more force but is more expensive and needs enough clearance to allow you to deploy it.

Perhaps someone who has a better idea of which to use could add some advice.

a whack with the fbh is usually enough to free off the track rod ends,not on the threaded section but the housing it goes into

but can i swing FBH in such a tight space.....lmfao

ok many thanks to you all......the help you've offered should help me.

Sponsored Links
Back