Track Rod End ball joint nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a track rod end fitted, but noticed the guy fitting it just used an electric or windy drill to tighten the nut on the ball joint to steering knuckle.
I have just read in the Haynes manual, it should be tightned to 26flb.
Would it be worth re-tightening the locknut to the specified torque or could I make things worse/being needlessly fussy?

Sponsored Links
If you had a torque wrench, you could set it to the required torque and try it 26 ft/lbs if it clicks before that figure leave it alone do not undo the nut, if you manage to get more on before it clicks then 26 lb/ft was not achieved by the windy gun. and no harm has been done.

Wotan

Pulling hard with one hand on a 9" spanner should be about right - I have never known one come undone.

Peter

Pulling hard with one hand on a 9" spanner should be about right - I have never known one come undone.

Peter
They have nylock nuts these days, the chances of coming undone are remote.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
makes me laugh when the tire fitters do the wheel nuts up with the windy gun and then proceed to check them with a torque wrench!
yeah that clicked and is the correct torque!

Windy guns are often set to extremely huge torques, but maybe his was turned down. I agree with the advice to put a torque wrench on. If it clicks without moving the nut, leave alone. it could be torqued much more than that, and any damage that was going to be done, (usually spreading the tapered hole in the casting) will have been done by now.

My local tire place has them set low and they torque up to the setting.
Cars are not allowed out without a check by the manager, top little place.

Back