freestanding concrete base for flagpole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I do not do DIY. hence my problem. I belong to a charity club , I bought a 20ft flagpole for our events. on grass i use a parasol base, staked down and guy roped. this wont work on a hard standing surface. I thought to use a laundry basket lined with polythene as a mold to make a concrete portable base, with metal carrying handles embedded in it and a hole in the centre in which to drop the pole. I do not know how wide the base has to be to withstand the pressure of wind on the flag and aluminium pole. I don't know how heavy concrete is, there must be a critical point at which a base will topple. Flagpoles falling on spectators is not good! I am going to try about 2ft square, about 2ft deep. Can anyone give me a better idea of what could be a safe base?
Thank you for reading this.

Sponsored Links
What about some sort of barrel filled with water, an oil drum for example. It would need some bracing at the top for the pole but should easily cope with the pole and flag.

Easier to move around too, when empty!

Hi toptech, thank you very much for your reply, I hadn't thought of that idea. If I can find a water source where I put the flag, this could be an answer to my my problem.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
Chris { aka sarge143 }

Sponsored Links
what about using a simple timber crucifix, with a pole fixed in teh centre to slide the pole into. You could make it so that it can fold up and be put in the car

It's a pleasure. Is it the UJ? or the Red Dragon?

Lions Club International flag. A club which raises money for worthy causes by arranging fund raising events. I belong to the Porthcawl branch in S. Wales. The pole came with the flag of St George, if I put that up here I would get lynched!!
Chris

what about using a simple timber crucifix, with a pole fixed in teh centre to slide the pole into. You could make it so that it can fold up and be put in the car

Thank you thermo, for your very good alternative to concrete. never thought of that one
sarge143

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back