Freestanding cooker - horizontal distance from units above?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a house which has a strange freestanding cooker - it's an old Electra model that's only 46cm wide, and it's in a slot that's just wide enough. See the picture:

(it's a galley kitchen - distance to opposite worktop is 775mm away)

The cooker is very slow and sounds like it's on its last legs, so I'd like to replace it. I am of course going to need to move the units and cut the work surface to do so. The question is - how much? In particular, how much horizontal space will I need between the overhanging units and the cooker itself?

The 40mm extra for a 500mm cooker is not a problem, but it seems that most cooker manufacturers want any nearby upper units to be some distance away (anything from 40mm to 150mm). (e.g. see p5 of this HAE51KS manual for the 150mm figure) That's going to be harder to do, and will mean losing some units.

One exception is the BEKO electric cookers, e.g. this one here --- BDVC563AW.pdf which just says that nearby cabinets need to be 400mm from the hotplate (see diagram bottom of p9).

(Reading around, it sounds like 300mm crows-flies distance to sockets is required, so the socket may have to move. But that can be done.)

So, I suppose my question is - am I reading that BEKO manual right? If I get my cabinets moved and worktop cut by 40mm or so, will an installer likely be willing to slot that BEKO cooker in the space?

I'm completely new to this so any help appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
As I read it the 65mm gap either side of the 500mm applies to cupboards that effectively sit on the worktop - which you haven't got.
Looking at your tiles, your overhead cupboards are already at least 450mm above the surface so I would say you are okay.

I understood that the minimum vertical clearance was 750mm for gas and 650mm for electric. It is definitely that for the hoods, so cannot see any logical reason why wall units would be less?
I believe the allowance for wall cabinets at the side of hobs, is no less than 366mm, but MI may suggest otherwise.

PrenticeBoyofDerry - I'm not planning to have anything directly above the hob - I'd move the high cabinets on the right too.

Am I misunderstanding the 650mm clearance thing? I assumed that all the manufacturers meant that as clearance for things that literally overhang i.e. that distance would only be required straight up from the hob. None of the diagrams in the manuals I've seen suggest 650mm from cupboards to the sides, even when the cooker is mounted flush with a tall cupboard.

(e.g. the HAE51KS manual I linked above shows a high cupboard less than 650mm above the hob and only 150mm to the side)

Sponsored Links
Am I misunderstanding the 650mm clearance thing? I assumed that all the manufacturers meant that as clearance for things that literally overhang i.e. that distance would only be required straight up from the hob. None of the diagrams in the manuals I've seen suggest 650mm from cupboards to the sides, even when the cooker is mounted flush with a tall cupboard. (e.g. the HAE51KS manual I linked above shows a high cupboard less than 650mm above the hob and only 150mm to the side)
FWIW, my understanding (and what I've seen in manuals) has always corresponded with yours - i.e. the 650mm (or 750mm for gas hobs) applies only to things directly above the hob. There will often be a requirement for wall cabinets 'to the side' to be a certain (small) distance (horizontally) from the hob, but not with any height restrictions for those that comply with that requirement. Manufacturer's instructions are usually very specific about all these matters.

Kind Regards, John

Am I misunderstanding the 650mm clearance thing? I assumed that all the manufacturers meant that as clearance for things that literally overhang i.e. that distance would only be required straight up from the hob.
You are misunderstanding, as that is what stated "vertical distance from hob"
and wall units at the side of hob to be no less than 366mm.
Also if you had larder unit, a distance of at least 300mm from hob would be required.

It will depend on your cooker but I have moved from halogen ceramic to induction ceramic and with induction there is far less heat escaping from the hob where with the old one I would clear the counter of anything affected by the heat now I find I don't need to and a butter dish with butter even on the hob does not melt the butter.

My first house had a narrow cooker it was a Belling but over 30 years ago so can't remember any details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back