Installing a new cooker on an existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just won a freestanding electric cooker on e-bay and want to check the suitability of the wiring prior to install. The cooker feed is 6mm² cable on a radial circuit of under 10m to a cooker/socket outlet - this runs a radio & toaster as well, though I can relocate these if necessary. The house was rewired three years ago and has a new Wylex 100A distribution unit, the cooker is on the RCD (rated 80A) side with a 32A fuse. The new cooker is rated 10-10.9KW. I have a feeling I already know the answer [I probably need 10mm² cable and a 45 or 50A fuse...]. Could someone please confirm the spec that I need? Also, is this likely to cause a problem on the RCD side and should I move it to the non RCD protected part of the fuse box where I have a couple of spare slots. Finally, the whole set up will be replaced in a year or so when we move our kitchen into another area of the house when we will move to dual fuel - an antique cooker failure has necessitated the new all electric purchase and I want to make sure I have a safe temporary solution. Thanks, Jake

Sponsored Links
Although for 10.9KW this means 47.39130435A it is very unlikely that all rings oven and grill will be all used together and very likely the 32A supply will be OK.

As to RCD any cable buried at less than 50mm in a wall now needs RCD protection unless it is one of the specials like Ali-tube so unlikely you would be permitted to move the supply to a non RCD protected supply.

Although you may continue to use non RCD protected supplies you can't more a supply already protected to non RCD or fit a new non RCD supply.

Any cooker which has been in storage may have problems with tripping an RCD but once dried out they should be OK. Although it may be better to supply with a RCBO so it does not trip out other circuits.

the fuse is protecting the cable so you're ok for that.. but the load will exceed the fuse rating.. so not a good idea..

it may be that it works perfectly well for a while, it may be that it keeps blowing the fuse when you cook a big meal..
if you can live with having to reset the fuse once in a while, or learning to not use all the rings and the oven on max at the same time, then you should be ok..

ideally a bigger cable and breaker should be installed...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back