New Cooker Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have bought a new freestanding electric cooker which they have asked me to install. I have disconnected the original cooker from the blank socket behind it. This cocket connects to a Crabtree cooker switch with socket which in turn connects to the main fuse box to a circuit marked "Cooker".

The New cooker manual says that an FCU is required (Min rating 32A) and a min contact clearance of 3mm. It also warns a three circuit bridge must be installed for a single phase connection.

As a novice with electrics my questions are:
1. Do I need an FCU as the cooker is on its own circuit and there wasn't one there previously.
2. would the supply be single phase?
3. If yes, would thee short circuit bridge already exist?
4. Is this really a job for a qualified electrician because I can't just connect the new cooker to the blank socket the old cooker was connected to?

many thanks in advance

Nefish

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the new cooker or make & model????

What size cable is currently feeding the cooker switch????????

What size breaker is currently instaled in the fuse board (in Amp's)

ENSURE THE POWER IS SWITCHED OFF AND YOU HAVE CHECKED FOR DEAD BEFORE YOU GO POKING AROUND IN EITHER THE FUSE BOARD OR THE CONECTION POINT

The new Cooker is a Bush AE56SW
The rating is 7600w

The cable between the Cooker Switch and Cooker has the following on it:
(DRAKA UK) BS6004 BASEC
The cable between The Cooker Switch and the Main Fuse Box appears to be the same though I can not see any labelling.
(If this does not give the size, how do I identify it)

The breaker on the fuse board says 32A.

Mant thanks for the prompt response

When you say a "blank socket", do you mean a plain white plastic plate that you unscrew from the wall to reveal three screw-in terminals - live, neutral and earth. If so, then from the sound of it you have a standard cooker point installation with 6mm cable back to the isolator (cooker switch) and consumer unit - the 32A circuit breaker is correct in that circumstance.

Post some pictures so we can confirm this - or get someone in if you're not confident enough, it's better than things going wrong ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
The New cooker manual says that an FCU is required (Min rating 32A)
I doubt that.

1. Do I need an FCU as the cooker is on its own circuit and there wasn't one there previously.
You can't have one - the largest fuse in an FCU is 13A.

2. would the supply be single phase?
Yes.

3.. If yes, would thee short circuit bridge already exist?
"three circuit bridge", not "short circuit bridge". Probably refers to a piece of metal which joins the live terminals together. Have you looked under the terminal cover on the cooker?

HI,

Yes by blank socket, I meant the white plastic plate under which the terminals that the old cooker was connected to. This runs to the cooker switch.

sorry I don't have anything with me to take pictures at the moment.

I can confirm that the New Cooker Manual does say:
FCU with a minimum rating of 32 A
and Three Short Circuit Bridge.

From further inspection the Short Circuit Bridge appears to be attached to the back of the cooker already? with the cable coming out from it.

Thanks again for the responses

My guess is that their CB is correctly sized and that a 6mm² flex can be used to wire the cooker to the existing cooker control unit. A 32A supply is usually appropriate for household cookers up to 15kW plus a 13A socket.

I can confirm that the New Cooker Manual does say:
FCU with a minimum rating of 32 A
and Three Short Circuit Bridge.
Madness.

Why do companies employ people who don't have a ******* clue to write manuals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back