Cooker Point for 3KW / 13amp cooker???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to purchase a new duel fuel cooker to replace our existing (failed) duel fuel cooker. The existing cooker is connected to a standard 13amp socket behind the cooker which is on the same circuit as the other 13amp sockets in the kitchen.

The new cooker has the following specifications:

13amp
3KW

The place I'm looking at buying the cooker from states I should have an existing 'Cooker Point' with a 'Big Red Switch' to connect the new cooker to. I wasn't expecting this as it is a single oven requiring 3KW. When they say cooker point I'm guessing they're talking about local isolation rather than a dedicated circuit? Legally can a 3KW cooker be connected to a standard 13amp socket without any local isolation?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
When they say a 'cooker point with a big red switch' they are referring to a dedicated cooker circuit.

Typically this is a 32 amp circuit in 6 mm2 cable, minimum.

Though you can plug in an appliance just over 3 kW in a 13 amp socket, it's not recommended on cookers.

You could do with a dedicated circuit. A 15 amp circuit in 2.5 mm2 cable is the minimum you require, though it would be sensible to use 6 mm2 cable in case of any future changes.

Haven't really got the option to run a new dedicated circuit to be honest. The 'cooker point' they refer to is a fused socket according to the customer service person I just spoke to. Don't understand why you'd want the socket fused as well as the plug?

Replace the socket with a fcu or fit one next to it.

IMO a fcu will cope better with the load than a plug.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer's are recommending that fixed fused connection is used rather than a 13A plug/socket arrangement.

Legally can a 3KW cooker be connected to a standard 13amp socket without any local isolation?
Yes it can - the plug and socket is used for isolation.
Some dual fuel cookers are supplied with a 13A plug fitted.
Even if not, if it's 13A or less, just put a plug on it and plug in.
Certainly no need for extra circuits or changing anything else.

The thing I don't like is the socket is behind the cooker...I much prefer to see isolation in an accessible position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back