Freeview signal issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an issue with my Freeview reception. I have an aerial running into a Wolsey Triax 8+1 way amplifier in the loft which runs 4 feeds. (3 TV's and 1 Youview box).

The Tv's don't have an issue but the Youview box does and keeps displaying YVM302. The signal and quality are 95% and 90% respectively before and after the error and loss of picture.

If I remove the amplifier and connect each of the TV's directly to the aerial in turn there is no issue, strength and quality are unchanged. However, connecting the Youview box feed directly to the aerial lead, there is no signal, nothing. I cannot understand this? Immediately connecting the aerial into the amplifier and the Youview lead into the amplifier the picture returns?

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do? Attenuate the feed into the Youview box perhaps? Signal overload into sensitive Youview box perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Yep, I think your diagnosis would also be my first thought as well.

I've measured the signal level with my professional meter, and then compared it against what a variety of TVs report. In every case the TVs are wildly out and don't properly track changes in the signal level.

Try a variable attenuator; a 0-20dB wouldn't be too much. Maplin and Tool Station both have products in the £5-£6 range.

So I have connected up a variable attenuator and will see what happens.

On BBC and ITV HD channels, set at it greatest attenuation the strength has dropped by 4%, quality remains 100%.

On BBC and ITV SD, the strength has dropped by 11%, quality again remaining at 100%.

Will see how this goes, have also reset the box and retuned to ensure I have the correct transmitter.

Sponsored Links
Also sounds like you need to attenuate the signal to me. My guess is the tuner in the youview box is more sensitive than the others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back