What Distribution Amplifier - Sky&Freeview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Grateful for a product recommendation please. Looking to distribute the following to 8 TVs.

The distribution amplifier will unfortunately have to be out at the furthest point from the aerial. The aerial run goes from the roof to the basement. The aerials wiring then goes from the basement to the bedrooms.

The sky box is also located in the basement. The wiring from the dish goes to the basement where the sky box is located.

Terminations are all F Type.
Cable is Labgear RG6 CE CPR Class ECA 011M

Inputs are

1. Sky+ [EDIT: via RF out from the Sky+ box, to the Distribution Amplifier]
2. Aerial, for Freeview

Cable runs are of some distance, its a 3 storey house and all cable are in the basement. Some are 15+metres.

It's all been done by the builders, so fingers crossed on wiring used and terminations made.

I'm not looking to use IR or magic eyes etc.

I've shortlisted the following, BUT very happy if anyone says all the below are USELESS and I should get something else.

Vision

Labgear

Wolsey (Triax)

Vision has up to 20db gain

Triax Wolsey has 0-10db gain

Labgear has 10db gain, plus an additional output of 17db.
It also has: built-in Class 3 4G filter providing 45dB interference protection

But I don't know of I can't use the inputs for SKY and Freeview as it seems to suggest FM/stabdabwTV on one of the inputs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The amplifier linked to has 2 inputs, UHF and VHF. Normally used for Freeview television and for people who actually want to use a radio with an external aerial.
It's totally unsuitable for anything else, including Sky or Freesat.

The sky box is also located in the basement.
What kind of Sky box, and what exactly do you intend to distribute from that?

Thanks.

The Sky+ box has a RF Output that I'll be using.

Aim is to distribute:
1. Aerial, on roof, for Freeview.
2. Sky+. RF output from Sky+ box.

I'd like these to be distributed to 8 TVs. Some of the runs will be over 15m.

Are there any other Distribution Amplifiers that would work for this?

Thanks

Aerial -> $ky RF in -> Sky RF2 out -> Distribution amp UHF input.

Your choice of amplifier all brands much of a muchness. Variable gain may be wise. Terminate any Full output unless used by a receiver or to feed a splitter.

Sponsored Links
I did the same as the op distributing the sky rf via an amp and didnt have interference. You can change the sky box rf out channel in the box settings

That could work, but Sky+ boxes are obsolete and you will only get a single channel out of it in low quality analogue. Interference with Freeview is likely.
RF Channels 49~68 are now the domain of 4G / 5G telecoms. It's possible then to have a filter in-line withbthe aerial feed before it gets to the Sky box (RF2). This brick wallcreates a shelter behind which RFchannels 49~68 would be free from 4G/5G signals and so available for the Sky box RF2 output.

The RF2 out isn't the cleanest signal. However, it does work better in the upper range of tge 21~68 channel range, and so giving it a clear run is the best chance of a reasonable result.

This is the idea: https://www.tektronic.dk/en/lte-4g-...n-dvb-t2-tv-antenna-signal-0750122584987.html

Thanks so for both the Freeview and the Sky RF Out, before they go to the Distribution Amplifier I shoudk add a 4G/5G Filter.

Thanks

Many thanks.

Please can you let me know what Distribution Amplifier you used?
I think it was an slx 8 way and you say you are not wanting to use magic eyes etc so how will you change the sky channel if the box is in the basement

Thanks so for both the Freeview and the Sky RF Out, before they go to the Distribution Amplifier I shoudk add a 4G/5G Filter.

Thanks
I would. (y)

Of course, that would mean you don't need (or want) any filtering in the distribution amp since you want to use the 49~68 range for your Sky signal.

I think it was an slx 8 way and you say you are not wanting to use magic eyes etc so how will you change the sky channel if the box is in the basement
Sky App. Completely reliable (or has been!), a lot easier to use than a chunky Sky remote, and the works anywhere as long as you're on the same WiFi Network.

And when your phone runs out of charge..... I might have to change the "chunky" sky remotes batteries once a year....

and my sky box is hard wired not wifi

why does everything require an "app" to work today???

And when your phone runs out of charge..... I might have to change the "chunky" sky remotes batteries once a year....

and my sky box is hard wired not wifi

why does everything require an "app" to work today???
It doesn't require an app to work, you can also use the chunky remote!

If anything it's catering to all tastes. A reason to be happy, surely.

I would. (y)

Of course, that would mean you don't need (or want) any filtering in the distribution amp since you want to use the 49~68 range for your Sky signal.
@Lucid

Just to confirm on this and grateful for your advice, please.

I purchased this RF Distribution Amplifier: https://www.trade-works.co.uk/aeria...-wolsey-lte-8-way-distribution-amplifier-p715

I have got bad reception
(Nothing 50-68, 43, 39, 35, 30 28, 22, 21)
Best is on 44 and 40.

I am based near Alexandra Palace mast, and also Crystal Palace reaches my location.

For both
A. the Freeview aerial before it goes into the Distribution Amplifier, and,
B. the RF Out before it goes into the Distribution Amplifier,
add one of these

Does it matter if the Filter is plugged directly into the RF out or Distribution Amplifier? Or should I add a small cable run.

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back