Analogue distribution of signal from Sky box

The significant problem with amplifiers using semiconductors are

(1) the gain of a semiconductor ( put simply the ratio of collector current : base current ) is not a constant ratio and varies depending on the base current.

(2) almost every semiconductor junction ( internal construction of the semiconductor ) has a zener type voltage drop which is fixed and cannot vary when the current through it varies. Hence there is a voltage offset between input and output of every semiconductor in the amplifier.

you wanted to feed understood what 'digital TV' was

"Digital" TV is an analogue radio frequency broadcast signal that is modulated with a data stream that can be converted into a digitised image for the screen

Sponsored Links
As I implied, I imagined that was what was being assumed. However, at least in this day and age, I can think of no reason why is has to be anything like that low, even if/though it is fed by 75Ω coax..
It has to match the characteristic impedance of the cable otherwise there will be reflections.

The significant problem with amplifiers using semiconductors are
(1) the gain of a semiconductor ( put simply the ratio of collector current : base current ) is not a constant ratio and varies depending on the base current.
(2) almost every semiconductor junction ( internal construction of the semiconductor ) has a zener type voltage drop which is fixed and cannot vary when the current through it varies. Hence there is a voltage offset between input and output of every semiconductor in the amplifier.
I appreciate all that but (a) I wouldn't have thought that, thee days, it would be beyond the with of man to compensate for most of those things - in fact, in a good few senses, "OpAmps" already do a lot of that intrinsically and (b) you're talking about bipolar semiconductors but FETs are much more valve-like in their functioning and behaviour.
"Digital" TV is an analogue radio frequency broadcast signal that is modulated with a data stream that can be converted into a digitised image for the screen
Indeed so, but a TV which "doesn't understand what digital TV is" (including some of mine!) does not have the means/ability to 'convert' the digital information demodulated from the RF signal into an image :)

Kind Regards, John

It has to match the characteristic impedance of the cable otherwise there will be reflections.
I suspected you would say that, but I need to have a think, because, at first sight, I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue if one wasn't trying to transfer power.

Sponsored Links
What would be interesting is taking the 4G filter out of the equation, and then comparing the capacitor to a standard wideband signal attenuator. ... In fact, I'd go one step further and get hold of a 0-20dB variable attenuator ...
Try this before and after the Sky box adds its signal.

I've so far only tried it before (upstream of) the Sky box. ..... [using an adjustable attenuator] [with] 10dB-20dB...., the result is similar to the ('near-perfect') picture I see with the (reduced value) capacitor.

Do you think there is still something to be gained by trying the attenuator (or, indeed, my capacitor) downstream of the Sky box?
With no aerial connection in to the modulator (that's important), then testing the capacitor then the attenuator is about seeing whether the analogue RF output is too strong for the TVs' tuners.
I'm a bit confused there. I've already demonstrated that if I disconnect the aerial, then 'the problem' goes away (i.e. the distributed Sky RF seems to produce a near-perfect picture), so there isn't then really anything left for the capacitor (or an attenuator) to improve.
........ On the other had, I suppose there would be some academic (but really no practical) interest in trying capacitor and/or attenuator downstream of the Sky box, with the aerial connected (hence some degradation of the analogue RF signal) - since that would presumably clarify whether the problem was arising at the level of the modulator and/or the tuners of the remote TVs. Maybe I'll try that 'for completeness'!
Just a quick update, for anyone interested.

Just to remind everyone, remote TVs were receiving poor quality (nosing/'snowstorm') signals distributed from the RF output of a Sky box. When the TV aerial (very strong DTV signals) was disconnected from the Sky box, the problem went away and the Sky RF distributed from the Sky Box became near perfect.

Inserting a very small capacitance, or 10-20dB attenuation using a variable wideband attenuator, between aerial and Sky box made this problem go away (distributed Sky RF 'near-perfect'), whist still passing enough of the DTV signals for the remote TVs to receive them satisfactorily. A 700 MHz low-pass filter inserted in the same place (upstream of the Sky box) did not produce as much improvement as did the capacitor or attenuator). That's where I left the story before.

I've done only two more things since then. The first was trivial, replacing the variable attenuator (between aerial and Sky box) with a fixed 15 dB one and, needless to say, that changed nothing (i.e. the distributed Sky RF signal remained 'near perfect'.

Secondly, I tried moving the (15 dB) attenuator (from pre-Sky box) to (a) between Sky box and the 6-way distribution box/amplifier and (b) between outputs of that 6-way distribution box and the remote TVs. In either location (a) or (b), the attenuator achieved nothing - if anything, the distributed Sky RF got even worse.

I still find this all a bit odd/confusing. Particularly given that I'm now back to using ch68 (>700 MHz), the fact that an attenuator is better at improving things than is a 700 MHz low-pass filter and the fact that either will only produce improvement if installed between aerial and Sky box seems to indicate that some strong signal(s) with a frequency below 700 MHz is/are upsetting the Sky box's modulator to the extent that the Sky RF signal deteriorates. Those "some strong signal(s)" could be DTV broadcasts or anything else - and without acquiring, and playing with, spectrum analysers (as previously mentioned!) and tuneable wide-range notch or band-pass filters I'm probably never going to know the answer.

Whilst I'm always frustrated by 'not knowing', I'm also very pragmatic, so since I have found 'a solution' which works to my satisfaction, I'm not going to lose too much sleep because I don't fully understand how/why the 'solution' is working :)

Thanks to everyone foe their interest in this exercise!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back