French Doors outside cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Im wondering if I can get some advice on french doors ive had fitted. I have been getting lots of condensation on the window upstairs directly above the doors and some on the door windows itself. Im not confident they have been fitted correctly. The window upstairs has been more than just a misting, its been completely soaking with water.

The old window came out and the builder knocked out the stone cill outside. Therefore the doors had to be moved forward nearer the outside wall. I have been reading that its not best practise to do this but some have done it with then insulating the cavity. I dont think he has done this to mine. I noticed before it got rendered he actually had sat the doors on 2 bits of timber and Im sure there was some DPC underneath the timber.

The render guy saw this and complained but did say its not ideal but managed to put mesh over the wood then rendered it.

I have put pictures to show what the inside and outside is like now & marked in red where the 2 bits of timber were before the render went on. Ive not fitted the new floor yet as I can feel major draught thru the floor next to the doors now. I think this will cause an issue. How can I get this sorted so I dont get problems with rising damp etc? Im going to have a meeting today with the window fitter to see how he has insulated or what level the DPC is at. One question, does there have to be DPC on top of the doors?

kindest regards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No photos.
It was a link to an image store, maybe admin removed it

20211118-075104.jpg
20211118-075100.jpg
20211118-075052.jpg
20211118-075052-Copy.jpg
20211118-074247.jpg
20211118-074256.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back