French drain questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We've just moved into our house which is in need of a little surface water drainage. The property is on a slight slope and has one large barn (25mtrs long) with corrugated roof and obviously no guttering. One side faces the slope and so you can imagine how the water collects there after rain. There is also some water that needs collecting from our private water treatment and some more off a small patio area I will be laying.

My plan is to run a 4" French drain alongside the large barn, then round the side (downhill) to collect the backwash from the private water treatment we have which creates a few hundred litres of water when it cleans itself every 5 days. Then continue the drainage a few metres and collect the run-off from the patio and on down to a soakaway.

I have Three questions really:

Can you run a French drain around corners? Sounds dumb, but everything I read and view shows straight lines.

Can you just feed in the 40mm waste pipe into the drainage channel without any joins, or should I run that pipe alongside?

Is it ok for the slope to be steeper than the minimum drop? Again, I keep reading about the minimum drop, but nothing about any maximum.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for a less than subtle *bump* but I'm about to get started so would really value any opinions. I would also like your thoughts on how deep to lay flexible drainage piping under a loose gravel driveway?

Thanks.

Can you run a French drain around corners? Sounds dumb, but everything I read and view shows straight lines.

Can you just feed in the 40mm waste pipe into the drainage channel without any joins, or should I run that pipe alongside?
Thanks guys.

You can run a French drain round a corner, probably best to put in an inspection chamber.

Where is the 40mm waste pipe coming from?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a wonderful holiday mostly spent looking at the back of queuing cars!

The 40mm waste pipe comes from our water treatment for our well water. It washes itself every 3 days on average, and will pump out a lot of water in the process. This is half the reason for the soakaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back