Fresh Putty failed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Approx 3 months ago I replaced a number of window panes, fresh glass and putty.

I left the putty approx 6 weeks before painting (partially due to other work committments). Hence when I came around the painting the putty, it was nice and firm.

Applied a primer, undercoat and 2 exterior gloss (Sandtex).

All seemed to have gone well untill this morning when I noticed that on one window, the paint has lifted and the putty underneath has turned to mush! - Only on 1 window, on the bottom and aboutn 8 inch section - everything other window is fine!

Any ideas why ? Assume water has got in somewhere....odd for it to happen on just one section.

Now - clearly this need to be replaced, but the question I suppose is; When!?

Middle of winter, rain, snow etc - Shall I leave it till the weather imrpoves (weeks likely) or crack on with it now and replace the bottom row of putty ?

Thoughts appreciated,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Did you remove excess oil from putty,? I always roll in old newspaper for 10 mins or until no more stains on the paper.

There is a train of thought that says putty should be applied whilist the wood primer is still tacky (oil based primer not acrylic of course) to achieve maximum adhesion. It's akward to do on a large job as a decorator can prime quicker than a glazier can glaze and face up but it may be possible on a small scale although yopu will have to judge things just right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back