Friction hinge adjustment (upvc/double glazing windows)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lot of draughts coming through our pvc window frames. The gaps are usually on the hinge side of the bottom of the window and on our bedroom window the gap is £1.50 (about 5mm) wide.

I am finding information on adjustment very difficult to come by but did see someone mention adjusting where the 'window/glass' frame meets the hinge. You have to do this from outside the house.

I looked under the hinge and saw that the window is attached to it by 3 screws - 2 similar and 1 different.

I am reluctant to start messing around with these screws unless I know what I am doing. My head tells me that these screws are just screwed in to pre-drilled holes and that no adjustment is possible. Can anyone tell me otherwise - or how these screws operate?

Finally, if it is possible to adjust the window gaps using this method should I move the window on or off the hinge to make it fit better?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back