Fridge bulb has melted its fitting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit alarming. We noticed this morning that the bulb had gone but on closer inspection, it's melted the plastic fitting and the plastic cover. I've not replaced the bulb but am concerned the fridge is now a fire hazard. Any thoughts?
The bulb had been in there for months and was of the required spec, so it's come a bit out of the blue.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LZ9eJFcuvSE9Z9hr7

Taken with a mirror for a better view, so please excuse the wonkiness.

Sponsored Links
suggests to me that the door-open switch was faulty (or the door had been left open) so that the lamp was lit for a long period. You can test this by exposing the lamp, shutting the door for 10 minutes or so, then turning off the power and quickly opening the door, feel the bulb to see if it is hot. If so, it has been lit.

you might consider an LED bulb next time, they run much cooler.

BTW you can insert pictures into your post by copy and paste.

I needed to test if the light was going off before and set me phone to video and put it in the fridge and just opened and closed the door.

Sponsored Links
One of many test for an appliance is, door shut light on & no damage should occur. Are you certain is the correct bulb? as said use an LED.

general the result of cheap plastic lamp holders being unable to take heat, they either burn out or go brittle especially with an oversized lamp check the wattage against what should be the max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back