Fridge Freezer making weird fan noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m a new member and a first time poster.

Could anyone advise me on what is wrong with our HotPoint FFA52 Fridge Freezer as it is making an unusual sound, like a fan?

We've had the fridge freezer for a few years now, but it has never made this sound. It’s a very calm sound, nothing loud or unpleasant but it is unusual. Also, we have had to empty our freezer compartment as everything has defrosted and there was a fair amount of water in bottom.

The fan noise stops when the fridge compartment is open, but it starts again once the door is shut, however, the fan noise continues regardless whether the freezer compartment is open or closed.

I’ve posted a video which may help you offer some suggestions as to what the problem may be. https://youtu.be/3WcHcPyfHWc

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
I will guess that it is a nominally "frost-free" freezer.

It is not unusual for the cold air ducts to block with ice, leading to the freezer section warming. It will be worse if the door has been left open or if the door seals are worn or damaged.

To clear them, take out all the food and eat it, unplug the FF, and leave the freezer door open for at least 24 hours, or until water has stopped dripping inside the cabinet, or into the collection dish round the back, whichever is the longer. Sponge out and clean this dish so it does not overflow. Do not allow water to drip onto any electrical part.

If you turn it back on before it is completely dry, your efforts will be wasted.

Thanks for the reply, John. I will try this tonight and leave it for 24 hours and see what happens afterwards and keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
if the air ducts are choked, quite a lot of water will dribble onto the floor of the cabinet as it melts.

If the defrost heaters or control circuit have failed, it will slowly block up again, and is not likely to be an economic repair. If it takes a year or so, you might just put up with manual defrosts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back