fridge not chilling properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved home and have an integrated Schreiber fridge, which I believe isn't chilling to the temperature it should. I have it on the highest setting, which is 5, and nothing is staying as cold or as fresh as it should. I also find occassions when I open the fridge and the light isn't coming on.

I am not sure if this is an easily fixed problem, maybe a loose wire or something.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but I think it would be best to buy a fridge thermometer to find out the actual temperature. They are very cheap from most stores. I believe that the optumum temperature for a fridge is around 4 degrees celsius. If indeed it is much higher than this you will need the assistance of a qualified refridgeration engineer as there is little a DIYer can do with the refridgeration system itself apart from checking fuses cables and connections.

back wall of fridge should frost up all over when running and should defrost when off on stat-not much diyer can do about this.Only thing diy can check is door shutting correctly,is internal light going off.Remove lamp for day or so this will rule out lamp coming on and raising temp of fridge

Check the compressor is running at the rear of the fridge, also there is a small fan motor that draws air across the condensor, check this is also running. You may see a lot of dust and fluff on the condensor, make sure this is all cleaned off as the condenser must be cooled by ambient air, suck the dust out with a hoover. If the compressor is running make sure the back of the fridge is getting a slight frost on it and after a while the compressor turns off and the frost at the back of the fridge turns to water.
If the comp is running and there is no frost forming at the rear, then you are looking at a gas problem or a compressor problem, :cry: when you moved the fridge you didn't bust a pipe did you ? :rolleyes: The light in the fridge should have a cut off switch on it, so if it stays on it heats up the switch and turns the light off.
Hope this helps you out, let me know how you get on, trust me I'm a fridge engineer ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
maybe a loose wire or something.
With light not always coming on, possibly. Having just moved house, the obvious thing to check is the wiring in the plug before you start opening the back up and buying thermometers (although if your machine doesn't tell you the temp, they are always handy to have). Check the plug for loose wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back