Fridge on overtime?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang, any clues as to how to rectify a refrigerator which seems to be on an awful lot of the time. I have tried turning the control down to wait for a shut off, but this seems to be almost to the off position. Is it fairly simple to sort out, or is it time to sell?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
in this weather it would be "normal" for a fridge to run a lot

also are you overstocking the fridge and restricting the airflow inside?

It could also be due to low refrigerant.

My Servis ("spits" - God I hate that brand) fridge was running for long periods of time a couple of years ago. Eventually it gave up the ghost. Called out engineer who said refrigerant had escaped and my 13 month old fridge was scrap. Servis didnt want to know - cost me £250 for a new one :(

Sponsored Links
Well, the fridge in question is one I am putting in a room for rent, there's nothing in it at the moment, and the room it's in is quite cool.
I have a second fridge for the same purpose, almost the same contents, except for a pint of milk, this fridge seems to me to be on my side with regards to the economy stakes, and is working quite well.
Neither is of a great age, and neither appears to "spit".

Have you checked how cold it's getting? If its not getting that cold probably low of gas, if its freezing (or very close to) then possibly the thermostat needs replacing.
If its runnings loads eventually the compressor will fail, imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back