Frog up: newbie advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently attempting my first ever bricklaying project -- a very small wall 2 courses high. Just a "practice" project, really.
I have followed the standard advice to build with "frog up". But after completing 2 courses it is now apparent that the top course has a frog which will collect water.
Coping stones would be overkill for such a small wall.

Advice please -- is it OK to put a "reverse" frog course on the top, leaving a level finish?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes you can but the problem is they might get easily knock over unless both frog are 100% filled with mortar or you could use a engineer brick instead which will give a top colour border line appearance. The engineer brick is also water resistence.

They are available in red, black, purple etc.

I don't have any engineering bricks knocking about.
It's only a decorative wall so maybe I'll try the "reverse the frog" approach for the top course.

Mike

the other popular solution for a coping layer to keep the damp out of the wall is a layer of clay roof tiles. Have a look at some brick garden walls localy to see how its done.

Sponsored Links
to be honest if its a small ornamental garden wall, it shouldnt be too much of an issue, just put a little extra mortar in the frog as well as on the bed before you lay it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back