Front Door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The bottom of my front door frame (exterior) is rotten on both sides. I just wanted to know if this is a relatively straight forward problem?

Does the rotten section (3 or 4 inches) just need to be cut out and new wood fitted in? If so how do I go about this? Do I need a professional carpernter? Or does the whole fram need to be replaced?

If I am not able to do this myself how much should I be looking to pay a carpenter to do it? I am in the East Anglia region.

Thanks

Olly

Sponsored Links
You would have to keep cutting until you find dry wood and the rot/wet problem might bigger than you think as it may be trapped by paint further up causing more problem. It may work out cheaper to buy a new door.

You need to find out how much is rotten - it might only be a few inches. You'll need to cut past the rot into where the wood is good to remove all the rotten stuff. Then you can treat the exposed wood with some wet rot wood hardener.
Then (depending on how much is rotten) either replace with wood or fill it with a 2 part wood filler for external use. Then paint.
That's what I did to my back door case a couple of years ago and it's stopped the rot from re-occuring. Erm...touch wood.

Good luck,
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back