Front door locking mechanism stiff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a timber core, sheet steel sandwich front door with a G-U lock. It looks like it is a G-U uPVC DOOR LOCK 2 Hook.

Intermittently the locking mechanism will not engage properly and when the handle is lifted it stops short of a full lock UNLESS you give it a hefty lift in which case it engages. Once engaged the key locks it no problem.

I haven't been able to determine what causes the intermittent fault - temperature, dampness, use etc.

The problem is that my daughter and my wife cannot give it enough oooomph meaning that they struggle to lock the door.

As it is a timber core there is no adjustment at the hinges.

The hinges look like this one:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Hinges/Door_Hinges/4059/Strong_Steel_Security_Hinge

Is there any adjustment at the locking side? Should it be lubricated?

Sponsored Links
I take it it'll lock ok when the door is open?

The door has obviously moved somehow/somewhere, try taking the keeps off the frame one by one till it works (so long as they are all seperate) and if poss re-fit the offending keep a touch lower, only 2 or 3mm lower though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back