Front door upvc handle has no screws but need to tighten it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front door upvc handle has come loose on the outside but there are no visible screws which i can use to tighten it.

Can anyone help how to tighten it?

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_130458.jpg
    IMG_20161008_130458.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_20161008_130440.jpg
    IMG_20161008_130440.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 423
Sponsored Links
That's an Ali door, the black ends at the top and bottom of the handles are screwed through the door and the white handles are thumped on and click onto them, it's a case of getting a flat scraper or chisel and trying to separate them

There will probably be a little grub screw on the inside edge of the handles that you need to loosen first.
Then as above you need to pop the handles off. The black plastic bits at the top and bottom of the handles are the clips that hold the handles on. You need to lever the handles off, They are very tight and you will think something is going to break but then it will just pop off.

You may want to put some cardboard against the door where you leaver it to prevent scratching.

There will probably be a little grub screw on the inside edge of the handles that you need to loosen first.
Then as above you need to pop the handles off. The black plastic bits at the top and bottom of the handles are the clips that hold the handles on. You need to lever the handles off, They are very tight and you will think something is going to break but then it will just pop off.

You may want to put some cardboard against the door where you leaver it to prevent scratching.

Looks a bit complicated..I am not able to find the exact point where I need to insert screwdriver to prise it off...I searched for "Ali door" videos but found none. Is there any specific name for these kind of handles?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Old handles so probably no videos.
Your photo number 2 if you look at the handles from the other side there should be a little grub screw on each, Loosen those with a allen key.

The black plastic clips top and bottom of each handle are about an inch long. Use a chisel slightly more than an inch away from the top/bottom. Put cardboard against the door and lever the handle off. You will have to do all 4 clips separately. It will take quite a bit of force but they will just pop.

Old handles so probably no videos.
Your photo number 2 if you look at the handles from the other side there should be a little grub screw on each, Loosen those with a allen key.

The black plastic clips top and bottom of each handle are about an inch long. Use a chisel slightly more than an inch away from the top/bottom. Put cardboard against the door and lever the handle off. You will have to do all 4 clips separately. It will take quite a bit of force but they will just pop.
Thanks for your explanation Gazman. Much appreciated!! Are the red circles the correct spots where i need to chisel the handle away?

Attachments

• IMG_20161009_102556.jpg
    IMG_20161009_102556.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 349
Yes anywhere around there.
Start on the other side of the handle so you can see what you are doing end on and have more room to lever it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back