frost protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I protect my Worcester 28SI boiler from severe frost.All my rads have got TRV's,The rad in the bathroom does not have one fitted and the installer stated that this was to stop the boiler 'kettling'.The system is run by a timer only,no room thermostat and the boiler does not have a bypass fitted,in the log book it says'.not required'.Is my only option to turn all the TRV.s to the frost setting and then leave the boiler on all night. does the boiler have automatic frost protection that would kick in if the outside temperature fell below zero.regards

Sponsored Links
Highly doubt it will just frost up, but if you want peace of mind just keep your CH on the lowest temperature.

Where is the boiler situated?

If within the confines of a normal domestic property, then don't worry about freezing ;)

some plumber don't fit a by pass valve in a house. if you have trv's installed then they normally leave the bathroom rad with standard valves. as all the rooms reach temperature they close down, (if set correctly) then leaving the bathroom rad still heating. this enables your pump to circulate and not push against a "deadhead" thus perventing itself for buring out. the bathroom rad is affectly your bypass. we use the bathroom rad as a by pass as its ment to be the warmst room in the house cos you may be in it in your birthday suite :!: makes sense :?:

Sponsored Links
I would expect that your boiler will have built in frost protection but you need to consult the technical specifications to be sure.

It sounds as if you want to leave the property empty.

If thats the case then you would be advised to fit a room stat and leave the boiler on continuously at about 6° C which will be better for the property to prevent damp and condensation anyway.

Tony

i only see frost protection installed in industrial or comercial heating systems. i suppose you could get something set up, but it would be costly and unless there are pipes exposed to the outside elements and you live in high risk area to frost it would be un necessary. as the guys here have stated , you do not need to worry. in 1996 i was an apprentice and was called into work from xmas leave cos of the bad frost and everyones heating wasn't working and pipse were etheir froze or busted. but then again it did go to minus 30 :!: exceptionally low temperate. even the local river froze over and you walk over it. if it goes like this again and you have any pipes in an attic or under floor boards down stairs , open the attic to allow heat to circulate up there and board up then vents aroud the base of the house to stop the pipse under the floor boards freezing. you can also set the heating on come on in the middle of the night , but like i said you only need to do this during extreme weather conditions.

Thanks for the replies,The boiler is in the roof space in my bungalow.It's cold up there but so far I have had no problems.On reading the installers manual It does mention a automatic by-pass in the boiler,would this keep the system ok if I was to turn the rad off in the bathroom for any reason?. Also the manual does mention built in frost protection.Would this work if the boiler was switched off.Regards

The frost protection works as long as the boiler has been correctly wired up.

Thats essentially with the mains supply connected to it at all times.

I hope you never turn off power to it as that will prevent the protection and risk serious damage.

I came across a Landlord who only turned the combi boiler on for one hour a day so that the tenants could not use too much hot water.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back