Frost stats info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand a Glowworm combi has two stats one inside and one on the pipes. I assume the boiler is hard wired and a drop in temperature brings the boiler protection in regardless of the the controller being on or off

What temperature should a boiler stat be set to ?

Is the boiler stat easy to adjust ?

i think this one seems to come on :?: at night even in the warm temps

cheers

Sponsored Links
Upper frost stat ones can be about 5º, and they aren't adjustable if internal to the boiler, afaik. There are various incremental mechanisms. I'd say you shouldn't notice warm pipes though - call GW.

mcbean...

Is your neighbours boiler still driving you round the twist ?

I take it the guys from the council have not detected any noise.?

How do you know its a Glowworm combi?

You have a good memory - yes , had the council round and couldnt get a reading but have entered discussion with the neighbours but nothing concrete yet - have been up close to the boiler hence knowing its a "Gloworm" and it just makes a fan type noise difficult to imagine that a small unit like this can cause mayhem in our house - even in different rooms during the night , they have turned it off at the controller last night but still disturbance i wondered if it was possible to be a dodgy internal frost stat kicking it off in the night as it is in the garage with a lots of gaps round the doors - it does blow hard at night here. Down to maybe 5 degrees last night

need to get it pinned down as over the last six weeks we have not had a good nights sleep and that doesnt help anybody !

Still looking for clues

Sponsored Links
mcbean said:
You have a good memory - yes , had the council round and couldnt get a reading but have entered discussion with the neighbours but nothing concrete yet - have been up close to the boiler hence knowing its a "Gloworm" and it just makes a fan type noise difficult to imagine that a small unit like this can cause mayhem in our house - even in different rooms during the night , they have turned it off at the controller last night but still disturbance i wondered if it was possible to be a dodgy internal frost stat kicking it off in the night as it is in the garage with a lots of gaps round the doors - it does blow hard at night here. Down to maybe 5 degrees last night

need to get it pinned down as over the last six weeks we have not had a good nights sleep and that doesnt help anybody !

Still looking for clues

If you are talking to the neighbour about it you could ask them to totally isolate it from the electricity supply.
By that i mean pull the fuse out not just turn the clock off.

That way there will be no way that the boiler can start up.

If you still hear the noise after doing that you need to be looking else where.

Be sure to let us know when you find the source of the noise.

Rang Gloworm they said the frost stat can operate independent of the controller ie boiler hard wired - cause of the issue is this thing coming on all through the night , its noisy on fire up - why - its a cold garage - frost stat set at aprox 5 degrees and seemingly unadjustable - temperature through the night around about 5 or less (have been measuring extremes) hence the boiler lighting up - neighbour still not cooperative however we have to convince him that he is wasting money (he is tight about money)-

Solution - he moves the boiler into the utility where it should have been in the first place or he makes a cupboard around it to keep it warmer. :rolleyes:

mcbean said:
Rang Gloworm they said the frost stat can operate independent of the controller ie boiler hard wired - cause of the issue is this thing coming on all through the night , its noisy on fire up - why - its a cold garage - frost stat set at aprox 5 degrees and seemingly unadjustable - temperature through the night around about 5 or less (have been measuring extremes) hence the boiler lighting up - neighbour still not cooperative however we have to convince him that he is wasting money (he is tight about money)-

Solution - he moves the boiler into the utility where it should have been in the first place or he makes a cupboard around it to keep it warmer. :rolleyes:

In your eyes maybe.

What has he done thats wrong?

You have even had the council round with noise measuring equipment which has detected nothing.

Maybe you and your missus are hearing things, or your hearing is more sensitive than the councils noise measuring equipment.

I seem to remember you saying in an earlier post that you was stood in your garden at 5 am and you couldn't hear it but your wife was in the house and she could.

Something doesn't quite add up with that.

Good point but he s wasting money if the thing comes on at night when not necessary - progressing slowly with the negotiation. Although we did ask the council and borrowed the equipment we made it clear that we were not complaining just trying to find the source of the noise which is still the priority. Its quite serious when your wife has not had a good nights sleep for a couple of months, it makes it quite tough ask your self what would you do ? . However i only want to resolve the issue amicably just needs two parties to do it !!

20 years of motorcycling and loud music has probably numbed my sensitivity !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back