Frost thermostat in loft - what temperature?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft contains unvented Telford Tempest cylinder and relevant pipework, almost all pipes are lagged (boiler is downstairs in kitchen).

What temperature should the frost thermostat be set to? Currently it is approx 2 C but that means that in this weather it is on basically all the time.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The loft remains cold. the boiler is working flat out, house is boiling, but no sign of boiler wanting to stop!

is it an idea to leave the lift hatch open a little so that the hot air rises?

Or is it better to turn down the stat?

I don't. And I just realised that I would need one, after researching it a bit on this forum.

What would you advise me to do till I have one fitted? Are either of the above a sensible option?

Sponsored Links
Heating Engineer who fitted the frost stat, says main risk in loft would be the mains cold freezing. The pipe stat will not help this as is fitted to Return. If anything it will make things worse as the heat loss from the Return will be reduced.

If this is correct, what should I therefore do to ensure mains cold doesnt freeze?

Surely this cant be the best option

You could run a radiator of the primary pipes and build a small room to contain the cylinder and pipework.

Problem then is if the thermal cut-out goes you are in trouble as the heat source is removed.

An alternative such as the Dimplex frost watcher could be an idea.

I would still build a small room around everything to limit heating the loft as much as possible.

Ps, decent lagging would protect the mains and other pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back