frozen gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the recent snow, I found that the gutter of the lower roof (above the integrated garage and protruded lounge) is full of solid ice. Even the edge of the tiles is icy. There is a small icicle at the end of the gutter. I guess this is probably because some snow higher up (near the 1st floor windows) has thawed and when the water reaches the edge of the roof and gutter, it re-freezes.

Although it is not as bad as some of the so-called ice dams in America I saw on the web, I am still a bit concerned if the gutter can support such weight and if there is anything can be done to prevent it from freezing. The gutter is not blocked with leaves etc., but the slope is not very good and there may be some standing water in there before the snow.

Many Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I guess you'll just have to put up with it mate - we're all in the same boat.....if the gutters didn't come down last year, they should be ok this winter - and thats my fingers crossed anyway! If you have problems, more brackets can only help (in the Spring!)
12" snow here and counting.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back